Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dickerson Mine is saved!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:59 pm 

In case you haven't heard, the town of Mine Hill has signed a $12.5 million contract to purchase the 200 acre piece of property containing the Dickerson Mine. The cash was raised ith help from various land conservancy groups and Green Acres funding, the culmination of many years of lawsuits and negotiation.

This will save the forested wetlands bordered by Canfield Ave, Rt 46, and extending very nearly to Rt 10 to the south. The intent is to leave the land as undeveloped parkland, open to the public for hiking, etc., and extends the "Greenway" from Roxbury to Dover. With the exception of the County Concrete Quarry, a greenway now exists from Mine Hill through Wharton to Jefferson and Rockaway.

Fantastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, this is great news as it looks like this historical site is safe from being destroyed. There has been enough development over historical sites, it was always good to hear when areas are saved.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent news Miner Rob! Mine Hill is saving the property containing one of the most important mines in the state. Dickerson Mine produced approximately 1,000,000 tons of ore in its lifetime -- far more than most of the mines here on IronMiners.com. To develop on this property is to desecrate the name of the town -- Mine Hill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:43 pm 

Yes excellent it's about time that people start caring about NJ mining history and better yet that they do something about it.