Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Biermann's Quarry (CT Mineral Collectors, I NEED help)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:38 pm 

Does anyone have directions to the collecting sites within Collus B. Huntington State Park (Biermann's Quarry)? I visited the place today and tried to locate the Beryl colecting area and Schorl outcrop but the directions I got online were extremely vague and I don't feel like getting lost in the god damn woods again. I would prefer directions from the lakeside entrance unless that is the wrong access point. Help would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:09 am 
Site Admin

I am not familiar with the area enough.. You might want to invest in a GPS, at the very least you can track where you are walking, and you can easily find you way back. We use to rely on Compasses to find new mines that we only had a general area of where the mine was. Old fashion, but worked well! The only problems we would have is when walking over ore veins as that always messes up the compass. The GPS's make this a lot easier as you can see exactly where you walked and can easily find your way back. The only problem is the Iron Veins mess up the GPS compass even more than a regular compass. So you can rely on the GPS to tell you which way you are facing. You kind of have to walk and see what direction you are moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:52 pm 

Jeremy, I live about five mintues away from Huntington Park. I have some maps, some old ones too. I'll look at them when I get home from work and let you know if they're any help. Mike and I have been to the Mica mine there...were you also looking for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:14 pm 

Well, Mike and I were planning on possibly going to both this weekend, I heard a new mineral was discovered at the Mica mine in 2005 and I want to look for some of the endemic phosphates there. we also wanted to do Biermann's possibly so it would be great if you can come. And yes, greg, I want to eventually get myself a GPS, once I get a steady job. Most places in Fairfield are quite a bit hesitant when it comes to hiring High School kids so it's hard but still very much possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:20 am 

Go to Sunset Hill Road, and then turn onto Old Dodingtontown Rd. Follow that and it should bring you to the park (keep in mind there are two or threee entrances all over redding). Follow the blue trail. You cross a power line at one point. There are letters to let you know you are following the right path....W, X, Y. At the Y intersection you sort of turn right. There's a small intersection of the trail and you go straight, I think. You'll see, if you wander off the trail a little, places where other rockhounds have been. If CT Mike goes with you, he'll remember the way, I think. HAVE FUN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:22 am 

P.S. The new map does not say quarry on it. It is only marked by a symbol meaning "geologic feature". If you're looking at that map, it should be in the uppre righthand corner