Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ringwood / Cooper Mine in the Paper again (and our site)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Ringwood in the paper again. Homeowner of the property directly over a shaft of the Cooper Mine which has recently reopened, is being told by the state that he is responsible for costs in stabilizing and filling shaft.

Also, a mention of our site is listed among the article.

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJ ... k2NzY5Nzk2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:30 pm 

Hey Greg,

It's nuts that the state is taking their sweet old time to fit the sink hole. Crazy that it happened but sometimes it just does. I hope that something is done about it soon. If it was my yard it would be cool at first to take pictures and to document it but I'm not so sure that I would want it to be open right there in my lawn. Well we will just have to wait and see how things work out for the guy.

Friday was very cool and we missed ya not being there. Hope to se ya soon.

Miner Bond 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

It was thought to be a promising ore vein despite little work having been documented (note I did not say "little work having been done"). Therefore, it is not unreasonable to assume a shaft or two was sunk on the property. There are many mine sites we have visited that include features such as adits and shafts that are not documented. In all of the mine collapse cases I've seen, this is the most unfortunate one because most of the time, the mine was well enough documented but foolishly and carelessly built over. The developers who built over the mine shafts in Mine Hill were building over well documented large producing mines that would have had all the signs of former mining activity the moment their bulldozers came rampaging through. The same goes for the Schuyler Copper Mine in North Arlington. Yet somehow when these well known mines that were not properly capped open up on the surface, the towns pretend to be surprised. I can imagine the town board going, "I didn't know we had any mines in Mine Hill?"

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, you do raise a good point. The towns are always all of a sudden is surprised whenever there is any type of mining subscidence. The stuff that seems to colapse is generally well documented sites. This amazes me too.

The Cooper mine is one of those where most of the available documentation states that this operation was just a long trench. However it was noted that there was a lot of potential for there being a large reserve of ore on the vein. Because there have been multiple shaft colapses, who knows how large this operation really was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:07 am 
Site Admin

Any new word on this anybody? Btw, the name Cooper is a big name as any local historian knows. Certainly financial capital wouldn't have been a problem and any amount of work could've been done.

Miner Mike