Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hibernia Mine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 am 

GREAT WEBSITE guys!!! It's been a long time since Mike, Jim and I went into Hibernia mine.

It was pretty neat seeing some of the "newer" pictures from inside the mine again. Last time we went in was at least 12 years ago (?).

Looking forward to some more pictures... I'm glad to see you guys kept up with all this for ao long.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Marc, long time no chat.. Yeah, that is a great mine.. We had so many good adventures in that mine, it really was too bad that they bat gated it. My biggest regret about that mine is that we began exploring it too late. By the time we had started exploring it, most of the mine had been reclaimed and obliterated. The only thing left that wasn't filled or closed completely was the Hibernia Mine Underground Railroad tunnel which is now bat gated.

Upon further examination of what is left of the site, there apears to be another shaft which is part of the Lower Wood Mine which for the most part is undisturbed.. This was formerly the pump shaft of the Lower Wood Mine and it appears to have last been used as an air shaft by my guesses. It probably could be reopened, but the water level will probably be right near the top and thus the workings on that portion of the mine would still be inaccessible.

There have also been wise tales about kids opening the cap of one of the shafts presumable near Oreland. I would assume this is the number 12 shaft, but I am uncertain if there are any drifts or levels even exposed above the water level. I am not sure if the Hibernia Underground Railroad meets with that shaft or not. Many of the maps I have don't seem to indicate that it does.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

For a picture of the pump shaft, look none further than here:

http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/hibernia-mine-8.htm

There is also a similar one like this at the Mount Hope Mine.

Miner Mike