Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Man Made Tunnel Near Delaware Water Gap
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:58 am 
Site Admin

I came across this one once before but kind of forgot about it. There is a manmade tunnel near the Delaware Water Gap and not far from the Pahaquarry Mine that apparently was driven while the government was going to damn the Delaware long ago but never did. There is an interesting articles giving directions to the lengthy tunnel at http://www.nnjg.org/newsletters/speleothemes-2002-11.pdf. What is funny is how the cavers specifically say the No Trespassing sign in cavers' speak means, "Welcome, enter here!" Goddamn hypocrites!!

Unfortunately it is batgated but even as the article says, one can squeeze underneath the gate. It doesn't really say how much room there is but it might be worth checking out, even if it isn't an actual mine -- it is a manmade tunnel into the earth and is fairly long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Interesting, I didn't know that was there. Bat gated though.. I'd be curious what this was really used for and what the plans were for the lake. Also, could this really be part of the Pahaquarry mine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think it's part of Pahaquarry or any other mine for that matter but you never know. Maybe there was a tunnel already there that was extended. I really don't have a clue but it looks to be standard hard rock tunnel proportions...