Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kingston New York Slate Mines....Mystery Maps
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:36 pm 

From 1800s to 1970s the Kingston Slate mines supplyed most of New York City Sidewalks and roofing matrerila all over the Northeast. The mines are 100 % accessible and go for thousands of feet under ground. They were used for moonlight mushrooms in the early 1980s and there are tunnels that start all around town....BUT.... The county enginneer was quoted as saying.
"We dont not have records on the mines under the city"
Well..... Is this common? I mean somebody MUST keep maps of mines built after 1920s right and filed somehwhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm, this sounds very interesting. I have not yet gone up to research Kingston nor its slate mines. I have seen underground slate mines only in old photos and they seemed to resemble coal mines. It is not surprising that the county engineer does not keep records. Some high up officials even believe the mines in our area are just caves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:52 pm 

There is a trolley musium abd a railroad museum too...
The mines are very accesible... Most holes start near Roundout bay near the Hudson River. The Mine was used inthe 1980s by a Mushroom company after the slate ran out. Well the slate indu8stry took a nosedive after other more modern matearil took its place for roofing. At one time neraky everybody had a slate roof and slate sidewalks. Conctreatr was too expensive to produce..
I say that this would be a great place to get my feet wet and Kingston has some nice Pubs too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:37 pm 

was just at a slate pit in pen argyl pa today to get more mine rail for the yard. the active pit is 300 foot deep and is 100 foot perfectly square. looks like a huge shaft. then at the bottom it cuts under. no tunnels but its a deep square hole. pretty cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:27 pm 

Well I see that in some mines that the track is still in place...
In railroading we have "Speeders" that patrol excusion railroads which atre moterised go-carts/// I supose one could be built to go into a mine...
There are no tracks that I know of in the mines in Kingston NY.. They used buldozers and moterised equipment so the holes are preeity huge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:50 pm 

we are getting the rails for the mine equiptment we are restoring. have a few hundred feet laid at the house for a test track right now. picking up a switch next week.

http://www.undergroundminers.com/railprojects.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 pm 

I've flown into Kingston quite a bit, and have noticed a couple times what look like culm banks from coal mines west of the city. I never really looked hard for other mining stuff along the river, but it could easily be there. I think i remember seeing some type of stone buisness where they were shipping stuff on barges up and down the river. . . .but i could be wrong.

Banks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:17 pm 

You are not wrong.... much of the stone that built New York City side walks came from Kingston...