Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Huber Breaker roof fall
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 pm 

Chris wrote:
hey, kinda have 5 different things going on in this thread....... but i like disorganization 8) .
Well, then we'll get along just fine, lol. Yeah, sorry about that. Guilty as charged! :roll: I just figured it was easier to keep the narrative of my coal-exploring week wrapped up in one thread?

Chris wrote:
...the concrete tunnel, i recognized it as we were there about 10 years ago rummaging around for old openings. thats all we found there.

yea, bella actually does a pretty decent job on those videos. id say im proud of the boy but i dont want to make that tarts head any bigger than mike a. already made it.......

saw some of the shickshinny mines but never this place. real cool, nice find!
i would definitely say you found one of the old mine holes. especially the way its sealed off and the drain pipe is coming out with flowing water......

and finally, the springdale shaft. its still there last in knew. take 81 to mahanoy city, make a right on north main street, go under the rr bridge, make a right on park place road and itll be out there a little bit on your left. you cant miss it.......
Well that just tickles me pink to hear that you agree that that was an old slope--that's the first real "new" one that I've found! COOL!

Like I said somewhere before, when I was around 10-12 years old, my cousin and I used to run up to that K-Mart and steal their sales flyers, and then run down to the old slope that was open there right near that drainage tunnel. We'd rol them up into "torches" and light them and go down into the mine. If our moms only knew, lol. It was only about maybe 150 feet to the right of that drainage tunnel, and about 60 feet up on the bank, on a slight ridge that was the access way or narrow-gauge railbed to it. It had a standard concrete framing, and went in from right to left if you were standing on the railroad tracks looking up at it, down at an angle of about 20 degrees. You could see the railroad right below you down the steep bank when you were standing outside the entrance. The slope went in gently curving to the right, and then about 100 feet in there were a half-dozen of what looked like doghole explorations or raises going upward into the face of the hill, and a very small stope on the tracks-side where the concrete framing ended and I believe it was timbered at that point. The light got much dimmer at that point around the curve, and the mine actually seemed level out there, going back at less of an angle. There was an old mine car body there, and some rail and I remember pipe or something along the wall, and I remember a large pile of debris (a fallen timber or two?) that blocked half the tunnel--we never ventured beyond there because the torches would always burn out by that point and we'd run back out, terrified, lol. We had no clue--geez, when I think of it now, we might've been right in the black damp and not even known it. Probably lucky to be here!

Over about 100 more feet to the left of the mine there were, I think, two different air shafts (?) or something like shafts?--one for sure, maybe the other one was just a concrete piling or something--the furthest one was more in the thick vegetation. They were about 40 feet apart, and the "close" one as I recall that they had some kind of rusty metal cap on the top with something like maybe a small ventilating fan in the center of it? I dunno if that was some kind of standard apparatus for this kind of shaft, or if they even were air shafts? They were only peeking out of the ground maybe about 2 feet high, and were square concrete blocks, and smallish--only a few feet square; not what you'd think of an air shaft like the kind that are 8-10 feet across. We used to drop rocks down them, as all kids seem to do. That's all I remember of the Greenwood colliery and slope. We never actually went over by where the colliery actually stood. We spent a lot of time down there in the mine though, cooling off on hot summer days. It was like our "hangout", and we'd run down and watch the trains cross the bridge on the river there when we'd hear their warning whistles.

And hey, thanks for the directions to the Springdale Shaft! I'm going to check that out on my way back home to North Carolina!

And thanks for maintaining this great forum and site! It's my favorite, bar none! :D

Post subject: Re: Huber Breaker roof fall
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:51 am 

That's right Anthracite isn't gassy. So getting blown back to K-Mart wasn't a problem.