Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:57 pm 

The hoist that went to my house was loaded using the excavator owned by R.P.M. They chained the hoist to the bucket of the excavator and lifted the entire hoist onto their trailer.

The last hoist is in good shape. Because of its superior condition, it was claimed by another museum early on. However, they never took any action and eventually dropped out so a more motivated group could step in.

The last hoist has very few missing parts. The two major pieces it needs are the steam chest lids. These were likely stolen years ago by a collector, as they bore raised lettering that read “S. Flory & Co. Bangor, PA” (if built before 1898) or “S. Flory Mfg. Co. Bangor, PA” (for 1898 or newer). However, I can probably salvage replacement lids from the remains of other hoists. In the worst case, they would have to be made from scratch. They were originally cast in iron, but R.P.M. or most machine shops or fabricators can make suitable replacements using steel plate. The only other missing parts are several grease cups, but I think I have collected enough spares to serve as replacements. In the worst case, these would have to be purchased new, for about $10 each.

As for operating the steam hoist, it should not be too hard, especially if you are not hoisting anything heavy. The sliding surfaces (D slide valves, valve seats, crossheads, cross head guides, and reversing links) should be cleaned of any rust and dirt. A coating of grease or oil should then be applied. The same should be done to the inside of the cylinders. If this hoist is like the others, then the other parts, such as the bearings, should still be well oiled and shiny, not requiring any work. The easiest way to run the hoist is to hook it up to a portable air compressor, just like a mucker. A steam hose could also be used to connect it to a portable boiler, steam tractor, or steam locomotive. Ideally, a permanent, coal fired, boiler should be installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:16 pm 

something like this :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:26 pm 

The question for all you steam guys out there. Looking at Chris's pic why is the steam dome above the fire box :?: Most of the time in is more centered on the boiler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:43 pm 

yea i was just wondering the same thing, this is from a stationary steam engine, does that have anything to do with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:01 pm 

it's placed closer to the end on some becasue as the steam travels back through the length of the boiler in the piping its heated even more and improves efficiency / performance in the cylinders. :wink:

Last edited by UGMiner Banks on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:05 pm 

here ya go:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gosp/research/loco_works.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:08 pm 

I just finished uploading photographs of the printing plates that were used to produce catalogues for the S. Flory Mfg. Co. of Bangor, Pa. Among the many items featured is the steam hoists used at the slate quarry. I reversed most of the photos so that the text is legible. The plates are housed at the Slate Belt Museum and Historical Society in Mt. Bethel, PA. The photos begin with this image::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:14 pm 

The boiler in chris's pic is that of a Farquar Ajax portable steam engine. The steel strap riveted to the top of the boiler was to hold a center crank steam engine. The reason the steam dome is located over the fire box is to allow foreward placement of the heavy engine to place more weight on the front axel. Steam came from the dome in the pipe barely visable in the pic through a flyball govener to the steam chest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:36 am 

Another steam hoist has been returned to service! This past weekend, the Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association in Jacktown (Bangor), PA, operated their double drum steam hoist for the first time since it left the quarry. It last ran in the 1970s. Photos are at:
http://news.webshots.com/photo/2998444760095054516cryHhy
Video is at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrqbTP0oOME
Also, there will be a tour of the active quarry operation this coming Saturday. It is one of the stops on the bus tour mentioned here:
http://www.bangormainstreet.org/?p=20

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:39 pm 

Today was a workday at Rough and Tumble, so I went down to help with their single drum steam hoist from the slate quarry. We cleaned the rust and dirt off of the moving parts (such as the crossheads and cylinder bores), then used steel bars to manually turn over the engine. It will be piped to steam during the first day of their show, on Wednesday, August 15th. From the 15th through the 18th, it will operate under steam, as will the double drum hoist that was returned to service last summer. Anyone interested in anything mechanical should try to attend the show. For show details, see:
http://www.roughandtumble.org/reunions/2007/2007_promo.asp
Photos from last year are at:
http://www.roughandtumble.org/rt-albums/rt-2006_reun/rt_photo_2006_reun.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:51 am 

so, banks, john k, and i went down to rough and tumble friday night for their show. man was that awesome. not only did we get to watch all the old engines run, get a cab ride in their locomotive but mike piersa checked us out on the operation of the 2 steam hoists he helped restore that came from the slate quarry. these things were great! my favorite part was when mike was going to show us how to reverse the engine. he said wait till the rod is at the top of the stroke, then twist this fast and pull this. i said " how much and how far" he said "its a feel, youll feel it" yea like the last time i ran a steam hoist back in 1894..............:? :lol: we had a blast and thanks to mike for allowing us to run the engines! my not so favorite part was when banks and i took a bit of a wrong turn on the way home and ended up in philly!:shock: yea.

i dont really know where to fit in the photos, so ill put them in the coal photos page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:57 pm 

I am glad you enjoyed the show. Everyone did a great job running the hoists. Thanks for posting the photos. I especially like the second to last shot where you can see the motion of Banks pulling the reversing lever. Here is a link to a video showing what was done with a gas engine after you left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERIk7yTboTI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:02 pm 

:D I like it !! I think we should do that to the mine car wheels at pioneer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:15 pm 

O.K. Chris you have to get that last hoist from the Slate Quarry (we told you guys there are very unique). It is different once you see them in operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:07 am 

We've already been thinking about where we can use it :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next