Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cornish Miners Carols
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:46 pm 

Hi, I am seeking help in locating the areas in the USA and Canada where Cornish Miners went to work and took the Carols sung in Cornwall with them. I know that in Grass Valley, California the descendents still hold a Cornish Carol service and also in Ishpeming, Michigan a local church still sings carols to the tunes of Thomas Merrit. Do you know of a mining community where the carols are still sung? If so then please contact me with the information. You can read more and listen to some of these old carols by going to the web site.

http://christmas.oldcornwall.org/

Thanks for reding this message.

GeorgeP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Information like this is generally hard to come by but there is recorded information on the songs miners sang from the Sunk Mine (http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/sunk-mine-1.htm). Miner CT Mike might be able to shed some light on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:52 am 

Thanks for that Miner Mike. Hopefully Miner C.T.Mike will come through with the information. Cornwall has just been granted World Heritage status for its mining and mines so anything we can do to record just where the Cornish miners went and the culture that they took with them is extending knowledge. I have really enjoyed reading the letters on the site and the reference to a pasty being eaten in the discussion on the weight of a miners head was the reason I decided to ask about Cornish Carols. I have another Web site which may interest you. It concerns letters sent to Newspapers in Cornwall by a New York hotel keeper telling friends and families about who was staying and where they were travelling too and from.

It's URL is http://cornish_letters.tripod.com/index.htm

I look forward to recieving more information.

GeorgeP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:01 am 
I'm really happy to hear that mining history is being preserved in Cornwall. I wish that were the case here in the States but, unfortunately, it isn't. People here seem to care very little about this very important industrial heritage. It's really a shame.

There were indeed many Cornish communities in both the iron and coal mines of the northeast. I will do some research and try to come up with as much information as possible for you. I'll post the information when I find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:23 am 

The Sunk mine is located in putnam county new york, the miners songs were written down in the 1920s by a man named Albee. The mines in this area closed around the 1880s so the miners must have been very old at that time. Copys of these songs are at the putnam county historical society, ask for Sally Sypher 845 278 7209. I heard they also did a recording a number of years ago so they might have a tape also. -Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:47 pm 

Hi George P. I have to tell you that my family arrived here from England and worked in the Anthracire mines in the Blakely,PA. area. In England, they lived in Cornwall, Gwennap in particular and then moved to Yorkshire ,where they lived in Kilton and Skinningrove. I can not tell you about miner's carols but your reference to Pasty caught my eye and I remember the family making Pasty Pie. Quite a tasty dish and my wife still makes it on occasion. A friend told me that you can purchase it at some of the bakerys in the Sranton, PA, area.