Iron Miners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New NJ Industrial Railroad Book
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:30 pm 

Hi,

The prolific Benjamin L Bernhart has a new book out: Shortline and Industrial Railroads of New Jersey Vol 1. It is all black and white steam era stuff and costs about $25. I got mine at The Model Railroad Shop in Pisctaway. I suspect Rails N Shafts has it cheap via mail order.

The volume covers the 48" ga saddle tankers of the Crossman Company in South Amboy, and the standard ga tankers of the East Jersey Terminal. The rest is filled out with Raritan River and Union Transportation Company shots.

Vol 2 is to feature the Hoboken Manufacturers, Morristown & Erie, Rahway Valley, Tuckerton and ONE DOZEN industrial lines. We can hope some of those are mineral lines in the Mount Hope area.

I wish there were more industrial lines in Volume 1, but given that the Raritan River was the switching road for so many large plants, I guess that is an honorary industrial.

I bet there are a lot of potential Weird NJ articles waiting along the abandoned ROWs of these lines!

Rob Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I think I will have to pick up a copy of this one. Do you have any idea on where this could be purchased online? While all of that is really out of my area, it sounds like it might be worth taking a look at as I'm sure there are some good shots there. Especially the saddle tank lokies..

I found www.rails-n-shafts.com, but most of the site hasn't been updated in a while.

And idea when Vol2 is coming out? That sounds like it certainly could have shots of Mt. Hope.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:21 pm 

Maybe Ray and Judy's would carry this book. If that is not the case, I work about 20 minutes from the Railroad shop, I could stop by during lunch and pick one up for anybody who wants one. PM me if you are interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:01 pm 

Volume 2 came out last week. It's greeeeeeeat!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Nice.. Any updates on locations where the book is available? How is this second volume? Thanks for keeping us posted on this.

Miner Greg