Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SAF 2B Underground rescue squad drill
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:42 pm 

Probably only in Naples, Italy would local emergency responders drill and rehearse how to extract victims who might fall down into the honeycomb of cavities, caverns, tunnels, aqueducts and passageways that run beneath the entire city. A special elite squad for doing just that is part of the Naples Fire Department. They are trained as well in mountain rescue, and using helicopters for rescues from sinking boats and other water emergencies.

This past December 21st, the Fire Department Squad, known as SAF-2B, or Underground, Mountain, and Water Rescue Team 2B, availed themselves of an offer by engineer Clemente Esposito, president of the Southern Speleological Society, to use the huge caverns, well shafts and tunnels which make up the Naples Museum of the Underground, which is operated by Esposito, for a real life drill site. Napoliunderground staff members, Fulvio and Luca accompanied the rescue team offering tips and advice, as well as photographing the entire mission. After a welcome and orientation to the underground area by Esposito, the 10 man team set about hooking up their highly specialized climbing and rappelling equipment. Strong steel bars were anchored at the top of a deep shaft used for the rescue scene. The Napoli Underground staff were amazed, and drooled at the high quality and diversity of equipment the firemen had on hand! A "victim" was actually hauled up using an improvised basket sling.

You can enjoy the exercise by going to the photo link below and looking over the super photography of Fulvio and NUg explorer/photographer, "Ipogeo!" A second exercise drill is planned for December 27th, 2007 in the same location with a second SAF team participating. Fulvio said everyone enjoyed a get together topside for pizza and beer after the exercise and a general bull session exchanging observations and experiences.

Here are the photos of the exercise.

Larry Ray

by Napoli Underground 8)

Last edited by NeandertalMan on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting that up. Some pretty nice shots! Can you provide us a little more information on what this location is that they are practicing in? It almost looks like they are going up and down a compartment of a shaft.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:46 pm 

Woah..... I wish I knew Napoli had a Museum of the Underground whenI was there.... I'm assuming it is open to the public (when there isn't rescue training :wink: ) ?

Post subject: About Naples.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:15 pm 

First of all I want to greet all the members of IronMiners! I'm Ipogeo from Naples (Italy) and I work on NapoliUnderground's site with my friend Neandertalman. In order to answer to the questions of Miner Greg, the rescue squad oh firemen made the exercitation in one of the most ancient water tanks on Naples. The tank is interested by a lot of tunnels of the Greek Bolla's acqueduct hand made about 2500 years ago; then the Roman empire and its engineers, has improved the acqueduct to serve the entire Naples. The last acqueduct built under the city is the Carmignano's (about 1700 a.c.). The pictures you have seen represents an old service shaft used by cavers to cleaning the tanks and the tunnels; infact you can see, into the shaft walls some little holes used like steps. I think this is the right web site to talk about it 'couse in Iron Miners we can talk about Iron Cavers! :wink:

Sorry for my languages mistakes... Ipogeo 8)
________
Cancer - lung forums

Last edited by ipogeo on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:32 am 
Site Admin

Very interesting. I tried to read more about it on your site, but with my lack of Italian language skills, I didn't get far! But your site has a large number of impressive photos and galleries which I went through and enjoyed very much!

It appears that there are a large number of man made tunnels and shafts in those caverns. Must be very interesting to explore. I would assume that the aqueducts are still in use today for drainage or perhaps sewage? Do you have any good history on this cavern system?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:43 pm 

Miner Greg wrote:
... I would assume that the aqueducts are still in use today for drainage or perhaps sewage? Do you have any good history on this cavern system?

Miner Greg

Not.
The channels (pipe - tube) are not more in function and they are completely dry.

You it watches this
The Incredible City beneath the City
It is of my friend Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:50 pm 

It's on line the video of the exercise about the rescue in the underground of Naples... I hope you enjoy it! :wink:
________
Algerian Recipes