Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ryobi 18V Chain Saw
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:08 am 
Site Admin

This is complete off topic from the Mine Car restoration stuff, so I started a new one. Adam, how is that Ryobi 18V Chain Saw that I see in many of the pictures on the construction pages? I was considering getting one as I own almost every other 18V tool from Ryobi, but wasn't sure if it would put out enough power to actually cut wood. The circular saws seem to kill the battery pretty quick.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:12 am 

well i can tell you it goes through batteries quick cutting 6x8s but other than that it does good. it is good with props :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:01 pm 

Hey Greg, I've gone through some chainsaws myself, it all depednds what your doing with it. In the beginning I went cheapo and got an electric chainsaw. i found out an electric chainsaw is not a real chainsaw (i used a 120v AC chainsaw). I would suspect an that an 18v DC chainsaw will be able to cut 1 inch twigs and not more. I then brought the smallest STIHL chainsaw there was, an MS170 (25cc). It could bring down some small trees, but couldnt work for long, the little chain would dull quickly. if the tree was 10 inches or more the chainsaw would be hurting and overheat. I eventually got a big powerfull 50cc Huskvarna. Now I I can cut through 20 inch hickory trees like butter. My purpose is to gather firewood for winter heating. I realized that I needed a serious chainsaw and in hindsight, should have gotten it from the getgo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:56 pm 

We have a 20" bar Husqvarna saw that we use on job sites all the time. . . Damn good saw. We use it on mine sites too :D

We also like the Stihl "mini boss" model as well.

ANOTHER MAJOR IMPORTATANT FACTOR . . . GET A GOOD CHAIN FOR CUTTING. The chains are usually junk that come with the saws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:38 pm 

believe it or not that little 18V one really impresses me. we have been using it on our mine car all along. mainly cause we dont have an electric plug in one, and the gasser smokes up the shop and its pretty cold at night when we work on this to open the door. we have done that but when we can we use the 18V saw, the chain must be a real good one cause it chews through the 6" x 8" still wet hemlock we are using for the mine car. i mean its definatly stressing it way beyond what its intended for, but way beyond the extreme end of the wood size for this saw. next monday ill take a video of adam cutting through one of the bumpers which we still have to cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:35 pm 

I was impressed with that little bugger...but to be honest, unless I really needed a small saw for use inside a building or inside a ---- I would get a Stihl. Hell... I already have 5 of them here at the house. We're a little partial in my family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:16 am 

Five of them?
Get down here and trim three trees for me before spring.
:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:53 am 

Greg, I am amazed at how well this little saw cuts, Its kind of a slow speed saw I guess you can say, but works verywell, on monday we went through a total of 3 1/2 batteries, but not totally dead, when they heat up they act like they're dead, but once you let them cool down they are good, you have to remember, these are 6x8 we are cutting with it and it slices right through, when the woman and I go camping, we take it with us for cutting firewood, I have yet to go through 2 batteries with it while doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:28 pm 

yea banks stihls are addictive you cant just have one, my favorite one right now is the stihl farm boss i clear cut over an acre of oak and maple with that saw its a beast, i used a small stihl to cut mortise and tennons on my barn and i even keep one next to my shotgun for home protection purposes, nobody messes with the guy weilding a chainsaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:32 pm 

maybe you can try using a skip tooth chain to keep the little saw from bogging and staining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:01 pm 

Thats right 8) We have a farm boss, 3 of the little buggers and then a big chuck with a 3 or 4 foot bar on it... i forget which. The pr*ck is big though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

I have a gas chainsaw already that I use for cutting firewood and stuff. I saw the 18V one at Home Depot but I figured it probably wouldn't work that well until I saw what you guys were doing with it. I'd only consider it for like what you guys are doing, using it inside for stuff like that or in a mine. Like I said, I have a number of 18V tools, the problem with the saws were when cutting thick wood. I've tried cutting 2x6's or 2x8's with the circular saw, but it runs out of juice after a few cuts.

Ryobi also just started selling Lithium Ion 18V batteries.. They plug into the existing tools ... no need to buy new tools (that is different .. not at all like Craftsman). Supposedly they last twice a long. Might work well with the saws for example..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:16 am 

yea, only problem is you cant use it in the mine, its not permissible......... you know that greg :wink: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:13 am 

here ya go, its kind of a big video but if you want to watch it, download it and go do something else for a bit :lol:

http://www.ugm2.com/MOV09943.MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:16 am 
Site Admin

I mean't on the intake airway..

Miner Greg