Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Here
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:15 pm 

Hello,
Just thought I would drop in and introduce myself. I'm from the Williamsport area, however I attend school in Prescott, Arizona. I never really thought about mines (more of an urban exploration person) until I came out here. There isn't much urban areas where I'm at so I met some people and started exploring some mines with them. They have a site that some may or may not have found...
http://minexplorationaz.tripod.com/index.html
I'm not really a fan of the underground stuff, however it is quite fun. I prefer to photograph the buildings and remains as well as quarries and stuff. I hope to meet some of you and see what there is too see in PA when I return this summer.

One from Arizona:

One from Pennsylvania:

- Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:29 pm 

Hey Justin - Welcome to the forum! a few of us here at ironminers ventured out to arizona last year to check out the mines and we were totally blown away by what we found !! we are planning a return trip this spring to follow up on some of our previous expleditions. I believe some of the mines we checked out are on the AZ mine exploreres website as well. -Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:31 pm 

If you do come out this spring before I head back to PA for summer (early May) I wouldn't mind tagging along. I've only had been to a few of the mines, but do like to explore them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:56 pm 

yea, that should work out great,Justin, last year we went out in early april and we plan to go the same time this year. Its always great to meet new explorers/ photographers. I started out with urban exploration as well, mostly mental institutions, but mines are so much more interesting and exciting in my opinion. It would be great to team up with those AZ mine explorers as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi Justin and welcome to the forum. I liked your photo of the breaker in Pennsylvania. There is mining history to be appreciated both below ground and above. Unfortunately it is always an uphill battle to get this fascinating part of our history recognized -- and preserved. Arizona is rich in mining history just as our area is, just that there is more land to cover and more preserved -- and maybe more mines per square mile.

The idea of seeing how some of our mines might have looked had nature and man not reclaimed the land, is astonishing. This is the case with mines in a dry desert environment like Arizona. It draws all of us there. We have quite a few mines to add to the site, some are waiting for our return mission in the spring. The website will cover a span of three separate Arizona trips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:05 am 
Site Admin

I always found mining and the history behind it very interesting. Never got into the urban exploring thing, it would probably be very interesting, but just never did any. Photographing old mining buildings is also very interesting, once again the history and also the industry behind it.

Like the Mike's said, the great thing about AZ is that everything is untouched. No reclaiming, everything is as it was. In a densely populated state like NJ, there just is no room for it. Whatever is left gets built on. However in AZ, a state that size leaves a lot of areas which are just forgotten about. That is until IronMiners finds it!

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

It is remarkable to think that we even stared right into the face of some adits that we didn't even have time to explore and document. There is just so much out there and in order to pull off a trip like this, you have to be extremely efficient and focused. We woke up around 5-6am each morning and headed back to the hotel around 11-12 at night. Mine research is hard work and takes lots of planning! A few nights we came back early just to indulge in delicious southwestern gourmet meals! The breakfasts were uniquely southwestern and amazing and were usually our only opportunity for delicious food! Each day we stocked up on energy drinks and jerky. The official drink of the IronMiner being Monster in a can. No real lunches. And of course LOTS of water was a necessity!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:28 pm 

Hey Mike... if work will allow me, I'd be totally down with going to AZ if you guys would have me. And if the official drink of Ironminers is Monster, count me in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:52 pm 

um, i think ugm coined monster as their official drink before im did.......... :lol: :wink: johnny welcome and dont worry, just a running joke we have with the im boys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:13 pm 

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:12 am 
Site Admin

Isn't that picture a little personal?

Yeah, AZ is a very interesting state when it comes to mining. Amazing what is still left and completely untouched.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:31 am 

yea i guess it is, considering what we had to go through to get on that hoist! guess it was a personal accomplishment :wink: