Iron Miners
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New(ish) Here
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:21 pm 

I realize that with some of the intros some of the new forum members have posted, I never posted mine. So...

I have always found mines very interesting - perhaps it is in the blood. My great grandfather worked on some of the great railroad tunnels in northern Italy, and probably worked at the Seatonville mine in Illinois*.

Anyway, I live in New York somewhat near the Tilly Foster and Croton Magnetic mines, but never explored much with them beyond the surface. I have not yet been able to rope any of my friends into exploring underground with me, so perhaps that is a big reason why I am here.

In addition to old mines, I have strong interests in old electronics and electric technology, railroads (big machines in general), old mainframe computers, and old ships. I do volunteer work with a few museum ships in the country, with the perk of exploring the dead ships of the Ghost Fleet from time to time (sort of like mine exploration - dark, cold, wet, no power, no cell phone, no map, lots of ways to die, etc.). Some people say I am attracted to rust.

Anyway, I have gathered info and taken pictures of mine things I have seen over the years, and as I turn them up, I will post (like that mine blower motor).

* I would like to find more about the coal mines of Illinois - specifically those at Ladd and Seatonville. Where to look?

--
Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:31 pm 

Hey Will,

We share a common interest. I too enjoy old ships, but sunken ones. I was actually supposed to be on the Andrea Doria for the 50th anniversar of her sinking... but due to circumstances beyond my control I didn't make it. You aren't too far from me... I have a friend who lives in Carmel. If you ever want to get together to do some hiking and exploring, look me up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:10 am 

one of my dads friends works/volunteers/restores some old pirate type ship........ sorry for the lingo, to me thats probably like someone calling any mine a shaft.... but thats what it looks like. anyways ill find out the name of it, you guys have probably heard of it. he brought one of the cannons over my dads on a trailer one day and fired a ball into the woods, that was bad ass! i think its out of ct, or maryland.