Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Submarine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:50 pm 

We should pool our resources and build one of these for exploring flooded quarries :lol:
I saw the original today in the Paterson (NJ) Museum. It was built in 1878. More photos are here:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562275950jAEQws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:57 pm 

My diving club was going to try to buy a "Pheonix 2000" or something like that. There's a yatch company that will custom build a submarine! It's like $70 million though, and none of us are sexy enough to date a Hilton sister.

Why not just learn how to dive? I've dove in a few flooded out quarries. Some interesting stuff to be seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:10 am 

"for exploring flooded quarries"

or mines :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:16 am 

Chris, I was talking with Miner Dan from abandonedmines.net about diving flooded mines. He told me one of his friends did it and almost died! He was diving a rebreather (which is what I would use) and the little exaust from it was dislodging debris like crazy. I still think it would be cool though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:20 am 

i thought about it. im not a diver and my diving experience is all but an hour in the bahamas on a reef 8 years ago! although we did talk about building a pod to drop down a flooded shaft once. there is a thread somewhere here but ill get into it again. im an airplane mechanic-modifier and at work we have a full machine shop. i was talking with one of the guys there about building a pod with glass and a light to house my camera to drop down a shaft. well this shaft is 900 feet deep, guess theres some great pressure there and we couldnt figure how to build one with what we had. so we never went ahead and built it. oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:03 am 

I have an underwater video system. Though I don't have lights for it, it would just be a matter of strapping some dive lights onto the housing. It's good to about 200-250 feet. I know guys that take them deeper, and they say the only problem is that the controls start to stick.

Every 33 feet under water there is another 14.7 psi, which is 415.609 psi at 900 feet. Considering record deep dive is well over 1000 feet on open cicuit, I'm sure you could come up with something to withstand the pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:27 am 

Chris, I am working on that pod as we speak. I have all the materials, i am just working on installing the camera a couple more weeks and it will be ready.

Anyway for mine diving you need to be a really good diver with special equipment and training (big bucks). I have a bunch of certificates and experience in different diving including wreck diving, deep diving, search and rescue, open water instructor, etc etc. I dove a cave in Cozumel in 02 and to be honest with you I would rather have walked it then dove it. To much to worry about and keep track of. Thats one reason i build ROV's for fun to check things out that is to dangerous or when i am to lazy to drag my gear to a body of water.

Well there's Your problem - Mythbusters

Caution: anything posted above may not be real, I am imaginary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:16 am 

yea, especially diving an old coal mine would be a bad idea. way too much debris to worry about down there, then youll be stirring up the bottom and wont be able to see anything anyway. but looking forward to the completion of the pod. how far do you think it will be able to go? is it just a drop pod or can we steer the thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:44 pm 

Ok I am building a drop pod but the only issue i have is that cable is roughly 650 feet long. But I believe i am aquiring a 1000foot spool of cable, i hope we will see in a week or two.
I am also building an ROV that can steer, a claw to pick up items, 2 - 50 watt halogen lights on board and also 2 color cameras but that has a shorter tether of 150 feet
( i think it may be more i built the tether 2 years ago) the ROV is roughly 2 foot tall by 2.5 feet wide and three feet long. Yeah it is big and probably not good for a mine shaft due to stiring up the silt, but if it needs to be droped into a hole to tape something it can, I am always up for an adventure. Only issue with the ROV is that i work on it as funds come available. Right now i have close to a $700.00 into it and i just need one more Sevylor trolling motor and some 3/4 sch40 PVC and i can complete it and then to a pool to work out the bugs. This ROV will use 5 Sevylor trolling motors that are filled with vegetable oil to compensate for pressure so water does not leak into it. This will be the 3rd ROV i have built over the years the first two were small "Milk crate size" and had 6 bilge pumps and one camera.
I am still looking for the video of the large mouth bass i ran into 2 years ago with my smaller ROV pretty cool short video. As soon as i find it i will post a link or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:12 pm 

hmm, how big is this thing gonna be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:56 pm 

Dragula,

I've been diving for almost 12 years. I'll be going for my instructor hopefully this spring if everything works out. I do a lot of wreck penetration. If you remember back in Feb of 07, three Jersey divers died on the Speigal Grove in Key Largo on a deep penetration. I have been to the room where two of their bodies were recovered, more than once by myself. I once got stuck in the smokestack of the Duane hoping to get to the engine room. I dive modified Hogarthian, with either doubles and stages, or my Classic Kiss CCR with bailout and deco bailout. I run sidemount on all of my bottles other than my back gas... nice low profile. My SAC rate on open cicuit is under .4 CFM under extreme workload. After my IT is done this spring, I plan on going all out and doing Cavern, Intro to Cave, Apprentice Cave, and Full Cave on my rebreather. If you ever want to get together and go diving, give me a yell :)

/highjack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:46 pm 

Chris i have two seperate projects going on the "POD" is small probably the size of a large can of soup.

And the "Rov" is is roughly 2 foot tall by 2.5 feet wide and three feet long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:08 am 
Site Admin

I have read about people mine diving in the Bull Mine, which is featured on the site. The good thing about Bull is that it is a huge cavity. Not easy to get stuck and can probably be done without kicking up to much debris.

The problem with Mines is the depth. Some of these mines go pretty deep. Sounds interesting, but I have never done any diving.

Miner Greg