Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dickson Discoveries and Flory Finds
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:05 pm 

Yesterday I visited the Hagley Library in Delaware and found some impressive mining machinery catalogues. Here is a samplying of the more surprising finds:
and
and
from Flory:
building a bridge for the DL&W:
The caption for this logging locomotive and skidder also helps answer the question about logging in the area:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:01 pm 

Mike killer stuff. I am going to elect you the PRESIDENT of the Flory Hoist historical society. You have done a great job researching & finding homes for all the Flory Hoists. Nice information again. You will be incharge of our Flory Hoist section for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:50 am 

hey mike, can we get a list or references? we have all kinds of mining related stuff in the library out here at penn state and i'm not sure where to start.

or maybe the things you went to look at were rare and that's why you went to the Hagley to begin with?

nice job!

john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:09 pm 

Hey John the things Mike posted were trade sale catalogs. The best way to start is with the names of the Mfg.'s. if you strike out on that then the trade magazines & books. I think the worst thing that happens when some collections are liisted under the collection name which screws everything up because it might be a persons name vs. the content (A NEEDLE IN THE HAYSTACK).

Post subject: Re: Dickson Discoveries and Flory Finds
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:02 am 

Mike,

This is a very interesting picture you posted. Like many publicity drawings from the golden age, it takes liberty with a lot of things. I have noted on the picuture some elements and posted here below the original.

Rob

Original

With notes

Do any other buildings in the picture stand besides the one used by the Trolley Museum and the big one at Vine St. and Penn Ave.?

Rob

Post subject: Re: Dickson Discoveries and Flory Finds
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:03 am 

robertjohndavis wrote:
Mike,

This is a very interesting picture you posted. Like many publicity drawings from the golden age, it takes liberty with a lot of things. I have noted on the picuture some elements and posted here below the original.

Rob

Original

With notes (made an error, the 4 blocks removed are between Vine and Lackawanna, not Vine and Mulberry)

Do any other buildings in the picture stand besides the one used by the Trolley Museum and the big one at Vine St. and Penn Ave.?

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:07 am 

Thank you very much for posting the image with the labels. Everything makes much more sense now! I will have to go back to Scranton and look for the buildings now that we know their real locations. Also, I put the rest of the Dickson catalogue online. It is a crude digitization, but should be good enough to get some interesting facts from. A fascinating corporate history is even included somewhere among the pages:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561998905mpYATO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:16 pm 

Here are some photos I took today when I drove past the old Dickson building at Vine and Penn: