What do you heat your house with?
Anthracite 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Oil 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Electric 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Propane 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Geo-Thermal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wood 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Poll: What do you heat your home with?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:14 pm 

I'm curious how many people on the forum heat their homes with Anthracite. I'm actually not expecting high numbers here.... Most people in the coal region turned to other sources with the decline of the industry and the various mine worker strikes in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:42 pm 

We here at the A residence heat with good ole anthracite! We have a early 1950's gentleman janitor stoker that was made in scranton.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 am 

I have natural gas in this house.
(Sorry, came that way.)
I know many people in this area who do use Reading Anthracite though.
They expect me to cut them a deal per ton for next year.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:06 pm 

Natural Gas, that should be easy to correct. There are a lot of really nice stoker stoves out on the market today, keystoker, harmon, alaska, lesiure line, and reading are the big ones out there. There all made right here in PA, plus a lot of them nowadays don't even need chimneys anymore. If your looking for a boiler efm, keystoker, axeman anderson, and ahs all make excellent units right here in PA. All of the boilers being made today are based on designs from the 1940's and 1950's so they are time tested, they are all pretty efficent too. The axeman andersons are in the 85% efficent range, the rest are all pretty close to that too. Not bad for 1940's technology!

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:24 pm 

I guess i shoulda added natural gas on there... I tried to put "other" but it didn't come up.. I need an upgrade... We're burning oil and propane :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:01 am 
Site Admin

We're buring Oil here... I considering burning Diesel, as it seems to be cheaper than Oil. The only difference between Oil and Diesel is that Diesel has an extra 30 - 40 cent tax on it and Oil has a red die in to to mark it as nontaxed. However with the less taxes, I'm still be charged more for my heating oil than taxed fuel is be charged. Something is wrong...

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14 pm 

Greg; EFM makes the perfect boiler for you, a duel fuel boiler. It'll burn either oil or anthracite. Keystokers boilers can be had as a duel fuel set up too. The cool thing is now the makers of these anthracite stokers can sell everything they can make. The breakers aren't having a problem selling the coal either. I guess this is one of the few good things caused by high oil prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen wood dual purpose boilers, but I haven't seen any Anthracite ones. Very interesting. Some of the ones I have seen allow you to hook up water storage tanks. You run the fire for a couple days to heat all the water up, and as the water heats up it goes into storage water heater type tanks. Then once your fire is out, you use that heated water throughout the week or so until it cools down. Then you light a fire again to heat the water up again. If you don't light your fire on time, it will still use oil to heat the burner.

I don't have a basement and my garages are occupied, so I don't have a place to store tanks. But a dual purpose boiler is sounding like a better and better idea these days.

Miner Greg