Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7 1/2" Gauge Referigerator car
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:53 pm 

[img][img]http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/42446/2515885610103674794S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/img]

Posted this up, was some interest in the more narrow of the narrow gauges. This is one of the first, if not the first, "Phridge" kit delivered from Plum Cove Studios and probably the second built after their prototype, which is green and has "Hood" graphics. In communication with the fine folks at Plum Cove, I mentioned the term "Phridge" when the car was under developement. The first car I ever built was their "Phlatt," and they have a story about that on their web site. They liked the name "Phridge", and have called their car that ever since.

Anyhow, the car took me longer than most folks because I spend a lot of time with paint and graphics. The body's wood has grooves in it to simulate individual oards. Those ridges were sanded individually, and the graphics were cut out and taped to the wood for lay-out.

The cutouts were traced and then removed. Wood filler was put inside the traced areas and sanded so the graphics have a smooth surface to be placed on. Then came primer, and 8 coats of yellow paint (yellow tends to have a thin pigment.) The Pennsylvania Red was painted on the ends, roof, and the car's interior.

The graphics, from Miracle Railroad Products in GA, were applied carefully over three nights in the shop. The car then was sealed with 2 coats of clear poly.

The car isn't run much, mainly because it's not a riding car. You can ride in it, but I have more comfy seats for the other cars. I have carried kids 5 years old or younger with no probem, I did make some little benches for the inside. Friends bring their kids over for birthday and christmas card pictures on the line in this car and the caboose (the roof comes off both)

That's about it for the "Phridge."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:49 am 

OH that's pretty.
'Nuff said.
:mrgreen:

~Shana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:17 pm 

that things awesome, killer detail. How do the couplers work on them? are they almost like lionel couplers?

Post subject: couplers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:55 am 

Thanks for the compliment Shana!

Banks, that's a good explaination for the couplers. They don't have the snap-open action like Lionel's, but they do have a pin that drops when they close. They also have springs in the coupler pockets that smoothes out the slacking. All of my couplers are cast iron with the exception of the Phlatt. Those are aluminum.