Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: R.P.M. Rigging makes VULCAN STEAM ENGINE fly over depot
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:45 pm 

R.P.M. Rigging making a Vulcan steam engine fly over a depot

Bringing the 300 ton Liebherr Crane on-site

The crane is so big that the boom is brought in a seperate trailer load + (3) trailers of counterweights

Lining up the boom

We got the Vulcan 0-4-0 steam engine rigged and ready for the sky
We only had to stack 40 ton of counterweight there are still additional weights.

Over the newly renovated 1 million dollar depot

Preparing for the descent

Negotiating between the semaphore & light posts

Check out the boom deflection as it is almost fully extended

The Vulcan arrives at it's final destination

As many as of you know many of the Ohio Vintage Coal group works as machinery movers specializing in heavy moving & historic rail locomotives/ car relocation (R.P.M. Rigging). This is a move we just completed yesterday 7/24/08. We brought the locomotive here in 2006 that was on loan from the Ohio Railway Museum. The site plans have changed at the Info Depot & expansion is needed to keep up with the demand for a very unique venue. The locomotive was in a very tight place forcing us to move it 200 ft in a single crane pick meaning up & over the depot it had to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:51 am 

:shock: :shock:

Woah!

That was awesome! I wonder if thats the highest a vulcan locomotive has ever been suspended?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:06 am 

We were wondering the same thing because most of the time you pick them just high enough to load onto a trailer or clear a fence but definately not a building.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Great job! I'm surprised there just was no other way of moving it. I guess it was really going to a tight spot, or they didn't want you guys to make clearances to move it via conventional means.

Is this a museum that the locomotive is on display at? What do they do?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:20 pm 

We have moved cars in all over the country for him. He is using the rail equipment for a unique theme for a confrence center. He also has a Great Northern "ranch" car/ western diner. The former Ringling Brothers Georgia Florida private car which came from Fort Worth Texas, a Central Vermont caboose & a 7-1/2" live steam railroad which we initially installed as well but the state has made him modify it since he carries so many people on it. Basically the steamer had to go because it was too small for a state inspection.

Watch the slide show on their site. You will see several of our large moves on there. You can control the speed of the show with the controls on the right side.

You will see several of our crew members pictured in the slide show.
http://www.the-depot.org/

A VERY UNIQUE PLACE & FRIENDLY STAFF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:59 pm 

:shock: nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:53 am 

That was a bold move swinging that little engine over top of the newly renovated depot. You guys have guts. Or you're nuts. Cool post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:40 pm 

Our company has been in business since 1962 moving heavy equipment & rail cars. I do have to say it does take guts to do certain jobs. This one was not as bad as other bigger jobs. In cases like this we just increase our engineering factor for our equipment to create a safe move. We do prefer to use other methods to move equipment but when we have to use cranes sometimes that is the only option. We have moved several pieces to this great facility. Every move was a challange and no two were similar.

I would say one of our most interesting moves was an International job in Porto, Portugal. We moved (2) 1910 trolley or streetcars to the U.S. . A non English speaking country for the most part.