Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What a great idea.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:14 pm 

http://mikeroweworks.com/

Click on the "mission" video link.
Now traditional, hard-working people can rejoice.
:mrgreen:
~S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:29 pm 

How did you find this? I'm not home when the show airs so was it advertised there?

Thanks a million for posting the link. Who hasn't thought the way he does? We were all told we had to go to college or we'd be dirtbags with lousy jobs. If so, then why are these pipeliners digging the millenium trenches through here making 6 figures for seasonal work? You don't need college to run an excavator, you just need to practice, run one for many years to get that good. It's a skill, and one that doesn't come easy. Or from a book.

I actually wrote in with a few ideas about links, sponsorships, co-ops, that sort of thing. I think his site can be a center for companies and skilled labor to meet. Or people who went to high school without the benefit of shop class like I had. What do they do now? Maybe on the new site they can find that co-op and get paid to learn a trade, rather than going into debt to make some big University more money like I did.

Kinda slow here at work tonight, so that link really got me fired up. I'm watching the guys on the graders out the alert room windows here working the subgrade on our taxiway project, knowing I'd be on one of those things for years before I got that good.

So anyhow, thanks for sharing that link with us, it'll be interesting to see how it progresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:40 pm 

I laugh when I think about all the Kids forced into college. There are plenty of good paying jobs out there that don't require a degree. Everybody has there likes and dislikes but if I went to college and got a degree in rocket science and had to sit in front of a friggin computer all day I'd go nuts. Yeah i'd be making 6 figures but I'd be miserable........well maybe more so then I allready am anyway :lol: .

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:43 pm 

i cant wait till banks sees and reads this to hear his reply....................... :lol: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:15 pm 

I think in life there are some kids/students/continuing ed-ers who like school and some who don't. Hell, I'm surrounded by medical students... if they aren't lifers, I don't know who is.

But there are kids out there who don't take to school and that's gotta be okay too.

Schools are forced to justify their existences by how many students go on to college. There aren't many other ways out there to see if schools are doing their job, so that's the measure that was picked. That ends up leaving the kids who don't do so well academically in the lurch because they either feel pressured to go on or they're put down because they aren't cut out for another 12 years of school.

I wish Mike Rowe all the best in his endeavor and I hope that the site works out the way he wants it to.

Fleur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:14 pm 

John,
I'm a part of another discussion board over on the Discovery Channel site called "Mike's Mudroom."
Well, I used to be a more frequent participant, but that's a long story.

Mike himself occasionally posts there, and that's where I found out about "MikeRoweWorks."
It's also where I met Fleur!!! Yaay! :mrgreen:

Here's the link to the Mudroom: http://community.discovery.com/eve/ubb. ... 3651971108

I'm glad you got fired up and offered some suggestions. I think Mike has a great idea, and I think you'd be a great contributor, as would everyone else here.

A, you sound like you have the same kind of luck I do.
Remember Hee-Haw? " If it weren't were bad luck I'd have no luck at all! GLOOOOOOOOOOOOM! DISPAIR! AND AGONY ON ME!!! "

It can't be that bad dear. Just remember, you have a long way ahead of ya.
Whenever you feel too bad, I'll bring pie.

;)

xox
~S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:27 pm 

Thanks Shana,

Checked out the chat room. I would have to say this mine forum is much better and easier to use than Discovery's chat thing.

Hopefully we'll get some e-mail updates on what's going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 pm 

man i dont know what to reply to this other than that is one of the best ideas/videos i have seen in a long time and its sooooo true. how many people today are obsessed with going to college right out out of highschool with absolutely no idea what they want to do but are only going because mom and dad are paying for it. and everything he said is the perfect truth. its not going to get any better....... especially in our day of couch potato video game playing kids. did you know that more kids are getting serious allergy problems because they dont go outside anymore, and when they do they are allergic to just about everything. i wish mike the best of luck with this and im going to write in a few ideas i have...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:23 pm 

Well put Chris. See what you started Shana?

I think this might strike a nerve nation wide. Lots of people feel the way we do about the topic, everyone knows it's true, I've heard talk shows brush on it. But just maybe it'll be a TV personality, of all people, that's going to be the one who turns things around and makes it OK to take up a trade instead of college. Even if you DO do well in school. Shouldn't matter, there should be no pressure either way.

Seems like if you do well, you're expected to go on to college. I did, and I did. I really wanted to go on the road with someone and learn to run a sound board. That was my first choice. And man did I catch hell for that. No way was I going to be allowed to become road-scum for a rock band.

Flight school was a lot different than preparing for life in a cubicle. And I got to play road-scum for Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Starship, Bruce Hornsby, Kenny G, 38 Special, and tons of others while I was going to school. And I'm lucky enough to have a job that is indoor/outdoor and never in one place. Even though I don't fly commercially anymore.

Looking back though, I could have skipped school and went into something else and probably been better off. What if I did hook up with CATS or another touring show and learned my way around the big boards? Would I be wishing I went to flight school instead? But almost everyone wants to be somewhere else, no one should dwell on that for too long.

Great topic. Makes for nice conversation on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:50 am 

Well, I did decide to go back to school ten years after I graduated high school because I wasn't getting anywhere else. The only thing I really excelled in was History and English, and I didn't want to teach. What to do?
I got accepted into the Art History program at U of Delaware, then was going to pursue a curator profession. (I was already doing preservation work with museum people at Eisenhower Nat'l Historic Site, and loved it.) Then I saw the starting salary for a curator. Forget it!

I started working part time at G-burg College and got two free classes a semester, so I thought I'd give that a try.
A few days of hearing, "Do you know who my daddy is?" and watching them pass out every night from boozing was enough for me. (Yes, even the excessive... and I mean EXCESSIVE boozing was too much for me, as well as the profound arrogance from those spoiled cake-heads.)

I learned how to drive truck. I've been doin' it ever since.

:)

I was also hoping some miners would go over to that site and I know Mike would give them some props or two, and maybe even get the word out about the gov't - bashing.
~Shana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:54 am 

Chris wrote:
i cant wait till banks sees and reads this to hear his reply....................... :lol: :roll:

You know, Banks kinda reminds me of a girl I went to school with.
One day I had the misfortune of being behind her in the lunch line, and also made the mistake of telling her how much I liked her jeans.

"Oh!" She said, "I have seven pair of Jordache. One for every day of the week. My daddy is a doctor. I have a horse named Mardi Gras..."

I wanted to pummel her.

I'm glad Banks doesn't act like that.

:mrgreen: