Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From the Illinois Basin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:11 pm 

Folks,

I want to post a quick introduction.

I live in the Indiana Coal fields. This on the eastern edge of the Illinois Basin where shallow surface mines are the norm and outcrops can be found. The surface coal veins are generally high-sulfur, while the deeper veins are cleaner and more desirable. There are four major powers plants within 60 miles.

A quick history:

Early 1900 - 1940's - Small and medium underground mines. Stripping of outcrops

1940 - 1970's Strip mining in its prime, mostly large mines with larger draglines.

1980 - 1990's Resurgents of small surface mines, using dozers, and scrapers/pans to remove overburden. These were mostly non-union.

1990's - Present. Stripping has shifted to hydraulic shovels and trucks, deeper than dragline depth. And many new underground mines, which generally have lower - sulfur.

There is plenty of shallow coal, but the sulfur is too high for the power plants to utilize effectivly.

If there is an interest I have several photos of the scrapping of the Bucyrus-Erie 3270 W (2) Dragline near Evansville.

The UGM/AMR guys seem to have an interesting project going, It is going to be interesting to learn what is going on out in PA. and I have tons of questions coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:37 pm 

Show us pictures of those draglines! I have a new respect for the big ones since I started working on Jeddo Coal Companys Marion 8700 and Bucyrus Erie 1450.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:48 pm 

Did you work at any of the mines out there? We've had several local WV coal operators try and go out west and not make it. I guess you just can't run any punch hole out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:42 pm 

Coalfire wrote:
Did you work at any of the mines out there? We've had several local WV coal operators try and go out west and not make it. I guess you just can't run any punch hole out there.

No.