Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:01 pm 

The vein he was in was only about 2 feet were he was at. On the east side of his slope, which he didn't work, the coal was 4 feet or so. Being it was so thin it's easy to set props by yourself and since it is straight pitch there is minimal shoveling. He cut all his rails down into 10 foot lengths so he could handle them himself when he had to lay new rail. Other than that it was mining as usual around here! As far as watching the Heynabonics video that really only applies to the Northern Field. You want to get a good lesson us around here go to www.coalregion.com and check out the coal speak dictionary.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:10 pm 

I have seen some figures from the State ( PA ) on Coal Mine production. He wasn't setting any records, but was consistent between 2004 and 2006 at about 400 pounds per hour and working about 1700 hours a year. Which works out to be about four days a week. I would assume the other day or two a week was doing something around the mine that wasn't reportable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:13 pm 

Mike A wrote:
As far as watching the Heynabonics video that really only applies to the Northern Field. You want to get a good lesson us around here go to www.coalregion.com and check out the coal speak dictionary.

You guys are off on inside jokes and I'm just having a bit of fun with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:15 pm 

Mike A wrote:
The vein he was in was only about 2 feet were he was at. On the east side of his slope, which he didn't work, the coal was 4 feet or so. Being it was so thin it's easy to set props by yourself and since it is straight pitch there is minimal shoveling. He cut all his rails down into 10 foot lengths so he could handle them himself when he had to lay new rail. Other than that it was mining as usual around here!

By straight pitch, you mean vertical? Sounds like the guy was pretty sharp at figuring out how to do things, his way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:18 pm 

correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:24 pm 

Well, while the shoveling would be easy, it seems that the extreme pitch would create other problems. Like drop a tool and you will be climbing down a ways to retrieve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:25 pm 

hmmm, i know nothing about dropping brand new drill bits down a half full chute just before youre about to fire and not ever seeing them again......... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:43 pm 

It's no big deal. I'm sure the guys doing maintenance at the breaker will have a few choice words, when they find it.

Or to put it into Midwestern terms, it won't get through the coal mill at the power plant. They remove the coal by air stream and blow it into the burners. Loose metal in the mill is a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:52 pm 

:lol: thats what breakers are FOR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:53 pm 

btw..... i wouldn't know anything about dropping a brand new #6 scoop shovel down the pitch into the cute..... :oops:

... it's funny cause i ended up loading it outa that shoot on the gangway a week later....it just wasn't so new anymore.. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:33 am 

the breakers have magnets to grab any metal out of the mine run coal like nails, spikes, drill bits.... ect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:22 pm 

I missed you guys.
:lol:

John, I'll be looking forward to meeting ya there.
I'd like to see what the "final" cut of this film is. I know the film-maker was shooting some footage at the last miner's picnic.

~Shana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:27 pm 

Wish I could make it, too. Maybe if one of you goes could you retrieve then post up contact info for the film maker if he's selling DVDs? I watched the trailer on youtube, looked like there was some info there but I couldn't read it. Too small for me.

On the topic of films, what ever happened to that doc crew you guys were hooking up with at slope 190 for a film about Knox? Any word on that production?

I know you were talking about another John there Shana, my name shows up on the side there so I didn't want you to think I was answering your post mistakenly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:30 pm 

Allright, Spanks and Mike A, we have tickets.

Shana, I look forward to meeting you there, too.

Ohio boys, we will be expecting you to show up out front and take a picture.

And I especially look forward to having a few of Pottsville's finest with you all afterwards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:23 pm 

Shana, glad you're coming up!

for johnr ... you could email Mark about dvds but i'm sure all he'll say is "it's coming!" as he has with us. for his contact (hes the director) go to www.anthracitemovie.com . Hes a nice guy.. talked to him a couple times.

as for the knox documentary, chris and I did some filming at 190 not too long ago with the crew doing it. They're hoping to come back sometime soon to do some more footage possibly. That's all in the works for now.

and Krenzel, thanks for grabbing those man!

Ohio guys...... same as krenzel said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next