Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good news for everybody....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:15 pm 

Chris I don't know if Banks filled you in before he left for Alaska but Friday afternoon I finally got my call from the DL and im the newest conductor. The UGM has an insider on rails. I start march 9th. Life should be interesting for the next few months.

Dixon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 pm 

yea billy thats awesome! i call the first cab ride in the rs3's! sweet deal man congrats, you worked hard on getting in with them now live it up! you still gonna part time at 190?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:29 pm 

Congrats! I'm thinking it's the short line that parks their power by Steam Town?

Anyhow, some friends of mine are railroaders for class 1 ops. I'm sure that railroad may offer you a much better lifestyle than they have to live. I almost went with CP back in October, but couldn't talk myself out of the retirement I'll get if I can hang on here until I'm 55. I'd be 67 otherwise if I go with CP, I'd have no Soc. Security so I'd have to stay for the full 30 years. I'm still pretty borderline about just going.

Post up once in a while, let us know what it's like there. Best of luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:55 pm 

those are the ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 pm 

Those are some sweet RS units then. They've got some great-looking classic stuff there. And some junk. But you gotta love a railroad that takes pride in some equipment and keeps it pristine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 pm 

Sorry it took a while for a response. I am excited, it was long year of aggravating them to get me in. I kinda felt bad after awhile but now i guess it kinda worked out. The RS3's are def. what im waiting to get on. They winterize them and put some of the other locomotives in storage for the winter (storage being in the yard at steamtown) they should be fired up soon though. I figure im getting on at the perfect time in life im only 26 so i can make a good career out of it. As for the quality of life, still some long hours but being a shortline with only 88 miles of track i will be home in my own bed each night. Im def. in for a change of life in the next few months. I just can't wait to get past the greenhorn stage and prove myself..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:40 pm 

That's a great time to start. 26, you have a lot to gain. You'll be 56 when you have your 30 years but I think you retire at 60, or at least can't collect until then. The retirement is better than Social Security. And yes, the short line is going to be a better way of doing it. Home every night is a nice bonus, it'll make things so much better for you.

My friend was 13 years out when he quit the NS. He's a dispatcher for CP now. At 13 years, he held down the #2 spot on the senority list and also held a high-end regular. But he was still left in hotel rooms for 2-3 days only to be shuttled in a van back home and called back out in 6 hours for an 8 hour show. He'd only get from Binghamton to about Wilkes-Barre sometimes and outlaw, spending 6 hours on a siding then waiting 2 more for a jitney. I know you'll have a better experience.