COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA

PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE HERITAGE MUSEUM

22 Bald Mountain Road, McDade Park

Scranton, PA 18504

(570) 963-4804

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Chester J. Kulesa

(570)963-4804

Calendar Notice:

When: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

What: Anthracite Coal Films Screening

Where: Anthracite Heritage Museum, McDade Park, Scranton

Hard Coal Films to be Screened at the Anthracite Heritage Museum

On Sunday, April 26, 2009, at 1 p.m. the Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum will screen two documentary films. These include Marc Brodzik’s film Hard Coal as well as Chris Perkel and Georgie Roland’s film The Town That Was. The program will be introduced by Dr. J. Philip Mosley, Professor of English and Comparative Literature at Penn State Worthington Scranton and member of the Anthracite Heritage Museum and Iron Furnaces Associates. Dr. Mosley will also lead a discussion after each film. A mid-afternoon break will offer refreshments. This film program is free and open to the public.

The film Hard Coal: Last of the Bootleg Miners has won the Best Feature Documentary Award at the 2009 DIY Film Festival in Los Angeles, and an official selection of the 2009 Carolina Film Festival and 2009 Buffalo-Niagara Film Festival. The film The Town That Was is the story of the coal seam fire under the town of Centralia, and the efforts of the youngest remaining resident, John Lokitis, to keep his hometown alive.

more

The Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum is located in McDade Park, off Keyser Avenue, in Scranton (Exits 182 or 191-B off I-81, and Exit 122, Keyser Avenue, from I-476). OPEN HOURS: April – November, Monday through Saturday, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Sunday, 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. CLOSED MONDAYS, December – March. Admission is charged for the Museum’s main exhibit, Anthracite People: Immigration & Ethnicity in Pennsylvania’s Hard Coal Region. Admission to a temporary exhibit, The Great Anthracite Coal Strike of 1902, is included. Call the Museum at 570-963-4804, or see www.anthracitemuseum.org, for more information.

This program is being held in conjunction with the 2009 theme of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) entitled Energy: Innovation and Impact. This theme focuses on energy and the effect it has had on the Commonwealth. See for yourself how energy fueled Pennsylvania and the developing nation by exploring PHMC historic sites and museums along the Energy Trail of History. For more information on stops along the Energy Trail of History, visit www.paenergytrail.com.

The Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum is administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Individuals with disabilities who need special assistance or accommodations to visit the Museum should call the Museum at 570-963-4804, in advance to discuss their needs. Pennsylvania TDD relay service is available at (800) 654-5984.

The Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum is one of 25 historic sites and museums on the Pennsylvania Trail of History®, administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. For more information, or to request a free, 24-page visitor’s guide, visit www.phmc.state.pa.us, or call toll free 1-866-PATRAIL.

####

--
Seymour Levin
PO Box 220
Kimberton, PA 19442
610-983-0467 (home/fax)
610-505-5545 (cell)
seymour.levin@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm 

Why is everything on a Sunday? :( I'd have gone to that for sure! Scranton's probably the closest that will ever get up this way. Gotta work every Sunday, unfortunately. Spend the morning at St. Mattress then come in to work.

Thanks for posting it up, you're always on top of this stuff. Maybe you can do a Seinfeld-style bootleg for me? :wink: (when Kramer was using a small camera and making boots of movies) If the guy isn't going to release it on DVD, that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:21 pm 

I hear ya on the Sunday stuff, John.
I think I used up all my vacation days last year by taking every other Sunday off for something.

As for the "bootleg vid..."
If I could figure out to burn it on my imac, I'd send ya a copy.

:(

~Shana <--- I'm on Sal's mailing list, that's why I know when the screenings are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:45 pm 

Thanks Shana. That's nice of ya. I was kidding with the bootleg video. I killed a coupla vacation days down the 9 myself this year, and I'll use up three more for the picnics. Then probably more in the fall to go down and do some more work in there. So I'm sure I'll see you on vacation!

You start mids on Sundays, doing the overnight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:17 am 

oops.. i just realized you already posted this shana.. might as well leave it up now i guess (i put it under coal mining too..)