Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carbide and Kelly's
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:37 pm 

Well, on an old topic back when meeting at miner's bars was suggested and happened a few times, I said I'd check out Kelly's on Slope St. in Plains some day. Well, I did. Neat place, older looking still, two old pin ball machines, a great old dart board with the big wheels for keeping score, a pool table, Steg in bottles, and a vintage cigarette machine. Bless yous in PA for still having those, even though I don't smoke.

They have pizza and sometimes a crockpot of something for food. But the place was "Booty's" back in the day. Had a botta Steg gold, then another, Amy had a Red Bull and Dr. M's Cherry drink and we left and walked back over my grandparents. Already had pizza at Victory Pig before our quick research visit.

As for the carbide lamp, I spent a lot of time cleaning off all the black and used Brasso to get it to a nice shine. I put some felt in it, cleaned the pinhole, and made a new rubber seal. Well, tonight I fired it using the carbide Bellaeric gave us. Worked like a champ! It's a Justrite lamp, and I found an exact match on a collector's site. It's a 1925 model. Got some flints at a smoke shop in PA, but even though I get spark I did light it with a lighter the first time because I wasn't sure if I was going to blow myself up or not.

So, another small piece of history saved from the garbage and restored to working condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:34 pm 

nice work, John!

Post subject: lamp
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 pm 

Thanks! If the weather is good for the picnic on the 12th I'll bring it down and we can fire it up.