Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dual Sporting
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:52 pm 

Any Adventure seeking Dual Sporters on the forum?? If you are, what do you have and whats the most extreme place you've taken it!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:30 pm 

NO snappy comebacks on this one. Besides, I was the photographer and have few of me riding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:28 pm 

Best of all worlds. Off-Road Toys and old Mines.

April, 1984

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:55 pm 

:lol: ... i could say something about the "1984," but no snappy comments, right? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:49 pm 

ah the good ol 3 wheels of death :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:33 pm 

UGMiner Banks wrote:
:lol: ... i could say something about the "1984," but no snappy comments, right? :lol:

I just meant I didn't have a snappy comeback, You can make one if you have one,

Actually, it can't be 1984. For several reasons. 1985 or maybe '86.

Still "Before Banks"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:30 am 

Chris wrote:
ah the good ol 3 wheels of death :twisted:

Not nice Chris, You've found the hot button.

The 3-W concept was not an overnight thing. It first appeared in the very early 70's and for many years was only one or two models in Honda's line. The original ATC 110 was most likely designed as an alternative to the 2-W Motorcycle in the California sand dunes. At one point there was a 2-W sand bike with huge flotation tires, but it was a flash in the pan.

As the concept developed the Manufactures played with various engines and suspensions. By the early 80's Honda had at least 5 if not 8 different models. Ranging from the Big Red which had little suspension to the 200x which was heavily suspended and developed about 35 HP, and would do 45 MPH on open road. There was one model beyond the 200x, the 250R. It was a 2-Stroke, Water-Cooled design that directly decended from the Elsinore/CR Motocross Bike. It only had one purpose, RACING.

The 3-W design had gotten a pretty bad rap and unfairly so, mostly due to stupid consumers and and over-active Big Brother.

3-W's design is much more stable than the 2-W design. Bikes are much taller and have a higher CG. The peg to seat distance is longer. 3-W's are quirky from a 2-W mindset as they do not handle in the same way. You lean in the opposite direction for starters. On a bike, a rider putting a foot down is normal. Try that on a 3-W or 4-W and at best you will destroy a boot. A 3 or 4-W can be barrel-rolled and a bike can only be laid down.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all three design concepts.

By the mid-80's the consumer craze was in full swing. The 3-W design appeared more user-friendly than a 2-W and people were ridding 3-Ws in ways and at ages they would not have considered on a 2-W.

In a side note the 4-W design came along, first as a mod kit for a 3-W. This increased the stability, and was a superior design that was quickly replacing the 3-W design, at least in the hare-scramble / woods racing circles.

About 86, the uproar started about how unsafe the3-W's were. I still feel it was mostly bad journalism if you considered the skill level and age of the riders. 3-W are not more dangerous than a 2-W. But because of the increased apppearance of stability people were using them in a more unsate manner.

No one in their right mind would allow a kid who couldn't touch the ground to hop on a 200cc 2-W are fly down the road. First off it would be physically impossible. But that was happening on 3-Ws. Dual ridership was another thing that was easier on a 3-W and was a contributing factor.

When the gov. got involved, I think the manufactures were not at all reluctant to agree to discontinuing the 3-w line. By that time they had three serious lines, 2-W, 3-W and the upcoming 4-W. The 4-W was winning the popularity contest and the end was coming for the 3-W design. A Gov. ban only sped the process and the Gov. took the rap for dropping the line.

The other thing that came out of the Gov. action was major push for Rider Education and Age Recommendations. These actions alone would have lessened the issues with 3-Ws. And IMO are about the only difference and the fact that the public is much more savy today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:16 pm 

nice write up on three wheelers..My first bike was a three wheeler honda 110 i belive it was. no suspension just the give in the tires. It was fun times. I have since moved on to the four wheel variety

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:19 pm 

banksey, i'm gonna work on this over the winter, maybe i can even just get a light kit for the xr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:06 pm 

Nice man, that would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:30 pm 

"Not nice Chris, You've found the hot button"

well doug i was going for the slightly warm button but couldnt find it so it was either cool or hot and i only mess with hottness............. :wink:

as a side note, yes nice write up and the first atv i rode was in fact the 3 wheels of death back in 91. my neighbor and i would go out tearing up the woods behind our houses. i had a mini bike (same thing as the one in dumb and dumber) but we took the 3.5 hp briggs off and put an 8 hp snow blower engine on it. we took turns, id ride the 3 wheels of death and my buddy would take the mini bike. the bike was funny, no clutch, straight drive to the axle. had a kick stand that was a U shaped thing that went around under the back tire. you start it on this thing, get on give it some go (which was a bicycle brake handle) and kick off the stand. also the only way to actually stop was to shut it off. had only 1 brake on the front wheel....... ahh the things we played with........ :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:34 pm 

also to shut that thing off it had that tab you pushed against the spark plug that would ground it out and kill the spark. well it was right under the seat.... yea a design flaw on our part.... but i was 12 so hey whatever. my sister and i were on it one day and went blasting down the road in front of the house at a whole probably 15 mph, and my wonderful bicycle throttle cable broke and stuck where it was...... no spring return here, the second design flaw. now remembering back to design flaw no.1 i couldnt reach the kill tab especially with my sis on the back so we bailed out into the yard..... :lol: the bike wobbled a bit and ran smack into the huge pine tree in my parents front yard. that was the demise of the mini bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:41 pm 

:lol: Haha! A little homegrown crudeness!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:18 pm 

thats right..... (insert head nod) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:59 am 

Sounds like normal story for a kid with mechanical ability.

You realize there are two major forces in nature:

"The maternal concern for the preservation of the species."

and

"The paternal concern for the entertainment of the species."

These are usually express as:

Mother: " You kids are going to kill yourselves."

Father ( Thinking to himself) : "Looks like fun to me."

Meanwhile we've completely hijacked Banks' Thread.

Before the 200x Days I drooled over a 1978, Honda XL175. They weren't called Dual Sport in ancient time, the common term was Enduro.