Iron Miners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mining jobs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:59 pm 

I was just wondering who here actually works in the mining field. I have applied for a couple of interesting mining internships for this upcoming summer https://fmi.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=125740&src=JB-10620
this compnay has been keeping in touch with me but would require me to be away from home all summer. Does anyone have an ideas of company's that are within a reasonable distance of Scranton Pa. I want to get my feet wet in the mining field. I currently am pursuing a degree in EE( electrical engineering) at the university of Scranton and am giving serious thought to pursing a degree in mining engineering,
thanks, mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:42 pm 

i do part time work at alfred brown coal co. 7 foot slope and run winter maintenance with mike a. at the no.9 mine in lansford. a few other guys in our group work in the industry as well. ill let them chime in if they want but besides us there are a few bitty miners on here as well. getting a job in the anthracite is pretty hard as most mines are family run. we just kinda lucked out. bella and justin are going to school for mining engineering, that is a good field to get in as well cause youll see all kinds of neat sites. also, most of the anthracite mines running are about an hour and a half from scranton, yea the drive isnt fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:10 pm 

this thread seems appropriate for this type of question, im most likely going to go into mining engineering at psu once i graduate high school, so i would like a job thatd bepreferably out west, and involve mining and the outdoors? maybe something like gateing old mines or doing reclamation work? as a summer job during college. anything like this exsist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:03 am 

thats something the universities would almost have to help with. I know Bella, who is in mining engineering, has an internship at the office of surface mining. In terms of reclamation you'd have to talk to someone at DEP, and tell them what you're studying and all..

Hey Mike, around here itd be tough unless you went up to that big strippins in Simpson and asked them for a summer job..... I doubt it would be considered at internship. I think thats Popple operation. Other that that or Casey Kasa Coal, working in their strippins or their breaker it would be tough to stay home for the summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:29 pm 

My first summer internship when I was at the University of Nevada, Reno was working for the state Division of Minerals fencing off and logging abandoned mine sites. That wold be a good summer internship that would keep you in the field for the week but have you home on weekends. If you're going for a mining engineering degree, be prepared to work/live in very remote places. Unless you land a coal mining job, most metal/ non metal mines in this country are fairly remote. Both mines I worked at in Nevada were at least 200 miles from my apartment in Reno but the companies provided housing for me in the town or camp where the mine was located near. Good luck and glad to see you're headed in the mining direction. It seems that all my graduating class went to work in coal mines but wanted gold and I wanted to work coal and ended up mining metals. So who knows where you'll end up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:08 pm 

My first summer internship when I was at the University of Nevada, Reno was working for the state Division of Minerals fencing off and logging abandoned mine sites. That wold be a good summer internship that would keep you in the field for the week but have you home on weekends. If you're going for a mining engineering degree, be prepared to work/live in very remote places. Unless you land a coal mining job, most metal/ non metal mines in this country are fairly remote. Both mines I worked at in Nevada were at least 200 miles from my apartment in Reno but the companies provided housing for me in the town or camp where the mine was located near. Good luck and glad to see you're headed in the mining direction. It seems that all my graduating class went to work in coal mines but wanted gold and I wanted to work coal and ended up mining metals. So who knows where you'll end up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:04 pm 

Erik, whats your degree in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:47 pm 

Like Chris said, the hard thing is getting in to work for someone. With the market the way it is for anthracite, the last thing any company is looking to do now is hire more new employees. If anything their laying off workers. Reading just cut back again. I've put my app in at almost all the big anthracite companies for a laborer/operator position before and none are hiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:24 am 

Banks, I was majoring in mining engineering but ran out of money for school. So I never actually finished but I still have and read all my mining engineering books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:41 pm 

Aaahh, nice man, thats sweet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:36 am 

I work underground at Rocksprings Development running a roofbolter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:54 am 

I'm a mucker at Xstraa's Kidd Creek copper mine in Timmins Ontario. I operate Toro 1400s and 514s 9 yard scooptrams.The Kidd Creek mine is the deepest base metal mine in the world, 9,600' deep. Most of Kidd's scooptrams have enclosed, air conditioned ROPS cabs. This is a very hot and dusty mine, so dust masks are required most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:23 am 

Geothermal heat and I suspect low natural moisture. Anyone have an idea what the diamond mines in South Africa are?

What kind of roof control do you have to have at that depth? Or is the rock solid enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:18 pm 

navycaptain8 wrote:
this thread seems appropriate for this type of question, im most likely going to go into mining engineering at psu once i graduate high school, so i would like a job thatd bepreferably out west, and involve mining and the outdoors? maybe something like gateing old mines or doing reclamation work? as a summer job during college. anything like this exsist?

Luminant down in TX has intern positions.