Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Edward S Miller
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:29 pm 

Edward S. Miller, 90, died Friday in the Hospice Community Care unit of Geisinger South, Wilkes-Barre.

Born in Danville on Feb. 6, 1920, he was the son of the late John A. and Mary Miller Fox Schimes. His mother died at childbirth. He was adopted by the late John and Margaret Law Miller. Edward grew up in Milton and attended its school through fourth grade. In 1929, the family moved to Pittston, where he completed fifth through eighth grades at St. Mary's Assumption School. He graduated from Pittston High School in 1937 with special training in mechanical drafting. Since he was 11 years old, he was a parishioner of St. Mary's Assumption Catholic Church, Pittston, and attended Mass faithfully, regardless of the weather.

Edward's first job was as a draftsman with the Long Island Lighting Co. Years later, he worked in radiology at a metals concern, in drafting at Ransom Paper Products and in the production of glass television tubes at Techneglas Corp. He served in the Army Transportation Corps for "three years, eight months and 10 days" during the second World War. Stationed at Portsmouth, England, for two years, he was sent to the European continent after the Normandy Invasion in 1944. With an honorable discharge in 1945, he was hired as a trolley motorman for Capital Transit Co. in Washington, D.C., until 1952 when buses replaced electric streetcars.

A monumental experience in Edward's life was a transcontinental railroad trip he took to California, during which he took many photographs of electric railways and railroads, a hobby he began in 1937. His photography is noted for its special artistic quality. Many of his pictures were included in the book, "Streetcar Scenes of the 1950s" by Leroy King Jr. In 1999, a book of his photos, "Trackside Around Scranton, PA 1952-1976 with Edward S. Miller" was published and dedicated solely to him.

While Edward was recognized for his pictures of trolleys of the Scranton Transit Co. and the Wilkes-Barre Railways and local railroads, he is well known as "the historian" of the Lackawanna and Wyoming Valley Railroad, "The Laurel Line," an interurban third-rail electric line that connected Wilkes-Barre and Scranton until 1952. His photos and data were used in the classic book, "The Laurel Line," by professors James Henwood and John Muncie. The recent volume, "Greater Wyoming Valley Trolleys" by historian Harrison Wick, features Edward's photos exclusively.

Since 1939, Edward was a member of the National Railway Historical Society and was a founding member of its Lackawanna and Wyoming Valley chapter and its president from 1980 to 1982. He had volunteered at the former Magee Transportation Museum in Bloomsburg until its destruction by the Hurricane Agnes flood of 1972, the Electric City Trolley Museum, Steamtown National Historic Site and the Anthracite Museum. He especially enjoyed being a tour guide for student groups.

Ed, or Eddie, as he was known by his many friends, was a kind-hearted, generous gentleman and neighbor with a twinkle in his eye and a contagious sense of humor. He had an encyclopedic mind and a great memory for details regarding railways and railroads and local history. He enjoyed good health until a fall last September.

He passed into the arms of our loving Lord on Friday.

Surviving are his many cousins.

There will be a viewing Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m., at the Adonizio Funeral Home, 251 William St., Pittston. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. in St. Mary's Assumption Catholic Church, Church Street, Pittston. Those attending the funeral are asked to go directly to the Church. Interment will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Turbot Twp., near Milton.

The first book I bought on my own at 9 concerning local history was written by him. Going to be kind of weird not seeing a new book come out by him. It was something to look forward to. Excellent author with alot of good photo's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:36 pm 

Although most people in our area have never heard of Ed Miller, there are many that are very thankful for his early photography that has and will continue to give us a view that would never have been seen. I know I am and wish I had thank him in person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:29 am 

i never met the guy but i own several dozen original pics he took..