Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cool New Jersey meadows, and Manhattan skyline picture 1933
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:15 am 

Hi all,
I thought some might like to see this picture of the Jersey Meadows and Manhattan taken in 1933. I found it on a Railroad website, which is why the RR's are labeled. Most but not all of these RR's are still in use today but mostly for commuter trains rather than freight. The only heavy freight line left is the one labeled "Northern Branch" which is part of a main line connecting NJ with Albany NY, that sees 35+ freight trains a day. The line marked "<- New York PRR _> Newark" was the Pennsylvania RR main line to Penn Station in Manhattan. It is now called The "Northeast Corridor" Which is the Amtrak line that runs between Boston, New York, and Washington DC. The one in the upper right marked "Hudson and Manhattan PRR" is now called "PATH" this is a subway line that connects Newark NJ with mid town Manhattan and also has a branch to lower Manhattan. This branch ended under the World Trade Center. You may remember pictures on the news of them finding in tact subway cars in the station after 9-11. The tunnels to WTC were flooded for some time after 9-11.

The road going from the lower left to the center with the draw bridge is NJ's famous Patterson Plank Road, Which was once built of wooden planks to cross the Meadows. There were once several land fills in the Meadows which is why a lot of it is gone today. Some of the things dumped there are WW2 rubble from the battle of Britain which was used to ballast ships heading back to the US, The rubble of New Yorks original Penn Station after it was torn down in 1966, and body's of mob hit victims!! I know you have all seen The Sopranos.

The rivers in this pic from bottom to top are, The Passaic, The next one is called Berry's Creek, Then is the Hackensack, The Hudson, and you can make out parts of the East River above Manhattan. Note all the piers along the Hudson!!

If this pic was taken today, Some of the things you would see are:

Just to the left of the words "Erie main line" would be the entire Meadowlands Sports Complex, which includes Giants Stadium, Continental Airlines Arena, and the Horse racing track.

Rt. 120,
Rt. 3,
Rt. 495 with the spiral down to the Lincoln Tunnel,
The main trunk of the New Jersey Turnpike would be about in the center going left to right,
The Northeast Extension of the Turnpike heading up to the George Washington Bridge,
Rt. 21, AKA McCarter Highway which goes through downtown Newark,
The east end of Interstate 280,
Rt's 1 and 9,
The DLnW Secaucus Yard replaced by buildings,
A lot more housing and buildings,
A lot of the meadows have been filled in over the years for new construction,
The West Side highway in Manhattan where all those piers are,
The NYC skyline is almost totally different,

Anyway, I thought this was interesting, Hope you like it.

The picture is BIG!!
http://lists.elhts.org/erielackphoto.cg ... otated.jpg

Note to all the Iron Mine Forum members. Just out of this pic to the right is the Copper mines under Lynhurst.