Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrading and refining my mine exploring gear
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:06 pm 

Lately Ive been looking at all aspects of my mine exploring gear to come up with ways to upgrade it before I head south (south of the border) for my next trip this winter.
I was thinking of purchasing this lamp http://www.karstsports.com/sts7prhesy09.html

I know it is quite a departure from the look of a traditional coon or wheat lamp but other wise this seems to be the perfect lamp. opinions?

Ive purchase this camera http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/prod ... 5mm_is_kit
To keep it safe I was thinking about using a pelican case instead of a camera bag http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1300.htm these have pick and pluck foam so I can create a cut out for the camera. it is water proof and pretty bash proof.
To carry gear in I was thinking one of these TAG packs http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/ ... 5B%5D=Lost Creek&catalogentryid=188&brand=Lost Creek I really like the fact that it does not use zippers which seem to fail at the most inopertune moments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:59 pm 

today I got this mini pelican case that holds up to 8 memory cards for my digital camera. This is great for those longer expeditions and is waterproof dust proof and crush proof. it also comes with an alternative insert to hold credit card sized objects.

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:04 am 

Here is the option I chose to protect my camera. This way I do not have to worry about damaging or soaking the camera when using rafts or waders, rappleing where there is water pouring down, or during tight crawls. The case is completely waterproof and crush proof and there is still some room if I want to add anything else that cannot get wet. You can also sit on this thing when you eat your lunch underground.

Foam picked and plucked out to fit camera snugly.

Here is the stenlight S7. I just got it and havent tried it out under ground, the turbo mode was impressive just shining it around my yard last night.
It is really small and light, even compared to caving lamps. I was impessed with its extremely high quality and waterproofing.

There are several other battery options, I chose this one but you can go bigger.
gold plated connectors.
long throw magnetic switch has 5 positions; off, low, medium, high and turbo.

To lug gear around I chose this Lost Creek gorilla pack. Here it is pack edwith the camera pelican case, waders, and helmet.
notice there are no zippers to fail, come open and dump your gear. the shoulder straps are on steel D rings and can be removed and reconfigured as shoulder bag, back pack or clip it to your harness when rappeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:59 pm 

How do you like the light? It looks like it uses Luxeon Rebels which can draw quite a bit of current. How's the battery life?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 pm 

Nice gear but i dont believe id be quite interested at all in paying nearly 350 bucks just for a light though but i guess SOMEOME has some money to spend.
For what karst is charging for that light i figure they can keep that light! LOL

Dawn