Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snakes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:21 pm 

Does anyone on here have any experiance with finding snakes in abandoned above ground buildings? The area is overgrown, and has high grass with buildings set about 3 feet off the ground. Do snakes prefer to be in the cool inside of the buildings or out in the grass? Just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:58 am 

I have found them in the grass, In gravel piles under things like stacks of wood etc. In buildings not so much though unless they can take cover. Seen some big ones at a few mine sites. Definately wear a mining boot or work boot when you are off exoploring. They do not like to be stepped on by any means :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:59 am 

Nope, we're 100% snake free.:)

Chris
in New Zealand.

ps I've spent 370 days in Nth America, all over the west and only ever saw one snake at Redcliff Co and that was road kill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

I usually don't see them near mine sites, but I know Miner Mike has seen them in the middle of tunnels down in Arizona. A nice big curled up rattle snake!

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

I've only seen snakes at one mine in Arizona, 3 in all. But I have seen the broken off rattles in another mine also in Arizona. They're out there, so keep a look out. We used our method of protection but since I cannot recommend that, it might be worth investing in a pair of gaiters if you frequent desert mines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:16 am 

Snakes prefer to live in grass. However when the weather is hotter they tend to go to places other than where they live. And in most cases, houses and abandoned buildings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:28 pm 

I have ran across 4 snakes so far at one of my mines here in Arizona. This mine is much farther out in the mountains than my other mines are. The snakes ive encountered out there have been three rattlers and a bull snake.

Dawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dawn,

When you encounter snakes at your mines, what do you do? That must really put a damper on a day's work right or do you somehow deal with them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:36 pm 

Hi Mike, They usually just move along and go about thier way with no further adue. The last one i ran across out there was under a mine car shell(was the top portion without the turntable and wheels and stuff) i was moving from one spot to another. Had i put my hand under there at the wrong time then i wouldve gotten bit. Luckily i grabbed the top of the shell instead of under the bottom in order to move it up and away from the bottom of the tailings pile where it was laying all this time. Just as i pulled the shell out of where it was buried i seen the snake under there but all he did was just slither away into some weeds on the other side of the wash just across from the tailings pile. All i did was continue moving the shell up to where i store the old metal and rail and all. Theres a few places out there i have to clean up yet in order to deter the snakes. I dont like to kill them unless i feel it is absolutely neccessary, especially the bullsnakes since they wont poison you and they eat the other critters that can harm you. I just have this thing that they have a right to live and im in thier territory, thier not in mine.

LOL rail haulage. I dont think id like to be stepped on either. LMAO

Gaiters, workboots or good hiking boots are a absolute must in desert mines. When i check out other mines out around here, i usually have to crawl in feet-first since the openings are so small from cave-ins and whatnot so i always make sure i wear something very durable on my feet that could deter snakebites. I also use gaiters and kneepads because alot of mine openings and even places inside the mines, especially where cave-ins have occured, theres ALOT of cactus thorns that the rats and all drug in the mine for nesting and ive gotten more than quite a few of those stuck in my hands and knees while crawling over cave-ins. Another thing that i like to carry and that, i think, most people do not think to carry, is a good snakebite kit along with thier first aid kit. Me being a medic and all, i feel having that one item, especially in areas i frequent, is better to be safe than sorry.

Dawn