Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shot tower
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:04 pm 
Does anyone know how a shot tower works? What were their purpose?

Post subject: Re: Shot tower
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:03 am 

Google :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 pm 
I tried that, but I never got a good answer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:24 pm 

huh, youre google must search a different internet than mine. :roll: just tried it and got tons of replies with everything you would want to know about them. first off is wikipidia.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:28 pm 
when I went on Wikipedia, it crashed my computer. (or it could be that the computer just decided to crash. It is a Windows 98, after all.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Here is most the Wikipedia article. I hope this helps!

A shot tower is a tower designed for the production of shot balls by freefall of molten lead, which is then caught in a water basin. The shot is used for projectiles in firearms.

Shot making
Process

In a shot tower, lead is heated until molten, then dropped through a copper sieve high in the tower. The liquid lead forms tiny spherical balls by surface tension, then solidifies as it falls. The partially cooled balls are caught at the floor of the tower in a water-filled basin.[1] The now fully cooled balls are checked for roundness and sorted by size; those that are "out of round" are remelted. A slightly inclined table is used for checking roundness.[2] To make larger shot sizes, a copper sieve with larger holes is used. However, the maximum size is limited by the height of the tower, because larger shot sizes must fall farther to cool. A polishing with a slight amount of graphite is necessary for lubrication and to prevent oxidation.
History

The process was invented by William Watts of Bristol, UK, and patented in 1782.[1][3] The same year, Watts extended his house in Redcliffe, Bristol to build the first shot tower.[4] Shot towers replaced the earlier techniques of casting shot in moulds, which was expensive, or of dripping molten lead into water barrels, which produced insufficiently spherical balls. Large shot which could not be made by the shot tower were made by tumbling pieces of cut lead sheet in a barrel until round.[5] Shot towers were replaced by the "wind tower" method by the end of the 19th century, which used a blast of cold air to dramatically shorten the drop necessary.[6] Today the Bliemeister method is used to make smaller shot sizes, and larger sizes are made by the cold swaging process of feeding calibrated lengths of wire into hemispherical dies and stamping them into spheres.[7]
Examples

The tallest shot tower ever built in Australia still stands in the Melbourne, Australia suburb of Clifton Hill. This brick structure was built in 1882 and is 160 ft (49 m) high.[8]

The Jackson Ferry Shot Tower, located in Wythe County, Virginia began construction around the end of the Revolutionary War in this rural area. It was built of stone with walls almost a meter (2.5 feet) thick, as it was not practical to use brick in that region for such a large structure. The 23 meter (75 foot) tower was built at the edge of a cliff and utilized a subterranean shaft of the same length to double the overall height the lead would drop.

In 1855-56, the architect James Bogardus built two shot towers in Lower Manhattan, the 175-foot McCullough Tower on Centre Street and the 217-foot Tapham Tower on Beekman Street. Both structures were demolished in the first decade of the 20th century.[citation needed]

The Shot Tower on the South Bank of the River Thames in central London, England was constructed in 1826, and was in use until 1949, but was demolished to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall (opened in 1967), after being retained as a feature in the 1951 Festival of Britain. Another square shot tower was also located not far away downstream along the Thames.

Another shot tower is the Taroona Shot Tower situated 11km out of Hobart, Tasmania. This shot tower is the tallest in the southern hemisphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_tower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:20 pm 
ok, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm 

Dave I see youre from wisconsin... if youre ever over on the iowa side in dubuque, check out the shot tower restaurant. I was there once, if i remember right theres some history behind the place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 pm 
I'll have to do that!