Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On Buying and Investing In Stocks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:53 pm 

Dear Group,

I would like to see it we can get a thread going on investing in stocks. I have always had an interest in stocks and believe they are a good place to put your money for the long term. Or, better yet, for the long, long term.

It recently dawned on me since joining our group that I didn't have any hard rock mining stocks. (I have Peabody Coal and HAD Patriot coal before it went belly up but no hard rock).

A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought 150 shares of Hecla Mining. Hecla, as we know, is the owner of the Lucky Friday Mine.

The last few days, I have been looking at the Original Sixteen to One Mine in California. I am not sure this would be a sound investment but it might be a heck of a lotta fund to have!

But I found a discrepancy. Shares can be purchased directly from the mine as you can see here:

http://www.origsix.com/stockinfo.asp

Right now it is trading through the mine company for 89 cents a share.

But if you look here: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=OSTO you will see that it is actually trading on the "Pink Sheets" or "Over-the-Counter" for around 20 cents. Why the difference, does anybody know?
Does anybody know of any other mining companies that might be worthwhile to look at getting their stock?

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

Post subject: Re: On Buying and Investing In Stocks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:24 pm 
Buy railroad! VERY STABLE!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 pm 

I'm really uncomfortable with discussing investing here. If Miner Greg , Mike or Chris disagree they can unlock it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

I have unlocked the topic. I think Fred's questions are valid questions, but as in Doug's thoughts, we aren't a stock site and there are inherit risks in trading. As long as we aren't using this topic for day trading stocks, insider hints, or speculation, I don't see an issue with the topic.

Unfortunately, other than mining stocks that went defunct 100+ years ago, I don't own any mining stocks! As for the finance.yahoo.com, does Yahoo not track pink sheet stocks? It does say Dec 5th. This unfortunately is not my alley.

Miner Greg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 pm 
Same here, only it is a certificate from the Pennsy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 pm 

The mining museum in Lead, Sth Dakota had old, cancelled stock certificates for sale, $5 each a few years ago. What a bargain to get in on the Homestake Mining Co.

Chris
in New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:53 pm 

Miner Greg wrote:
I have unlocked the topic. I think Fred's questions are valid questions, but as in Doug's thoughts, we aren't a stock site and there are inherit risks in trading. As long as we aren't using this topic for day trading stocks, insider hints, or speculation, I don't see an issue with the topic.

Unfortunately, other than mining stocks that went defunct 100+ years ago, I don't own any mining stocks! As for the finance.yahoo.com, does Yahoo not track pink sheet stocks? It does say Dec 5th. This unfortunately is not my alley.

Miner Greg

Greg,

Yes, they do. Clicking here should give you the quote of the Original Sixteen To One Mine:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=OSTO

The last trade was only 20 cents on Dec 5th as you pointed out. This is what's called a "penny stock", is very thinly traded and is very risky. Nevertheless, I am probably going to buy this. My primary interest is actually in the mine itself in this case - not as a money making tool. It is possible to get a certificate directly from the mine.

They have annual meetings at the mine and it's possible to arrange an all day tour of the mine with the president. I find such a prospect exciting. That would probably be a lot safer than trying to explore an abandoned mine on my own but equally exciting. Don't know when I'll make it to California again, though.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain