Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: where is everybody
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:07 am 

I've noticed several of the regular folks haven't posted in a while. Haven't heard anything from the Ohio boys or banks or a few others, so where is everybody?

Post subject: Re: where is everybody
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:34 pm 

So I guess everybody has permanently disappeared. I count about 5 people who have been posting lately. This is a really cool forum and I would hate to see it play out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:38 pm 
So would I.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:46 pm 

workin and playin......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:16 am 

Here and there...re-building the 2nd of a pair of curved turnouts for the local park railway, moving firewood to new storage area, assembling my rotary orecar and cutting down a couple of tall tall trees.....

Chris
in New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 am 
Sounds like you have been busy. Any news on your tram? Do you have your loco done, or are you still working on it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:30 am 

Motor is waiting on me to find time to turn upwards of 200 rivits, haven't had many rainy days here this spring to do it yet.

Chris
in New Zealand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:55 am 
Still a WIP, eh? I can't blame you. That sounds like a rainy-day task. Are you hand-riveting, or do you have a rivet gun?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:36 am 

Dave,
the Orecar rivets, like the Motor's batterybox are made from 5/16th"coachbolts with the square part of the shank turned off as well as the threaded section cut off. Put in cold and beaten to death with a ballpein hammer.
The Motor frame rivets on the otherhand are made from 5/8th" coach bolts in the same manner but another bolthead is completely bored off to make the opposite side rivethead. These are pressed together with a open jig G-clamped and that allows me to weld the two parts together. Where it has been done on the prototype, I will add a bead of weld to copy repairs made by the mining Co. Any riveted part of the frame that can't have both heads seen at the same time get the bolt left intact and the nut tightened and welded secure. No point in wasting effort on something that will never be seen.

Chris
in New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:39 pm 
Kiwi#1 wrote:
No point in wasting effort on something that will never be seen.<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">Chris<br style="text-shadow: none;">in New Zealand

I hear that. I paint all the backs of my structures a flat black, with the occasional rude brush-mark. The interiors are all lit, but the shades are drawn. The only part I spend time on making an interior for is the loading docks, where the doors are open. The same is for my passenger cars. I just make it look like the shades are drawn. no point in adding an interior when the train will be moving too fast to make out any details. The only car I have with an interior is one that my grandparents got me from the gift shop of the Denali Explorer.