Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Discovery Trail & AT Trail
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Has anyone heard of the American Discovery Trail? Like the Appalachian Trail, it is a state-to-state trail that links the west and east coasts. The trail begins most appropriately in Delaware, the "First State" and crosses through a total of 15 states ending in California. In all the trail blazes through 6,800 miles of wilderness, mountains, sidewalks and former railbeds. It is interesting that we have a trail that heads west much in the way the first settlers discovered the western America. Unfortunately the trailhead is not in NJ.

On the other hand, how many people on here have hiked the Appalachian Trail? I have hiked several different sections in PA, NJ and NY but have never actually "backpacked" the AT Trail. If you are on the Appalachian Trail near Anthony's Nose, be sure to get off and follow the trail to the summit. It provides an awesome view of the Hudson Highlands area.

Hiker Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:54 pm 

Hey Mike,

It’s kind of funny that you bring the application trail up because of this little bit of info I have to tell ya. I know that your not supposed to do this but I picked up a dude that was hiking a part of the trail near Blairstown. He came down into the town to try to hitch a ride for whatever reason from Blairstown into the PA. So instead of the FUZZ talking to him I gave him the ride. While I was driving him to the border of NJ and PA I asked him where he was from and he told me Georgia. He said that he started the trail there and was going to hike up to Maine where he was meeting friends of his. He also said that he hasn’t been home in months and from the smell of this guy he hasn’t showered in months. It was pretty crazy doing what I did but I felt good some how that I helped him out. So anyways just thought that I would share that with ya. See ya

Miner Bond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Do you need to fill out an APPLICATION to use this trail? hehe. Interesting story. I would consider walking the Appalachian Trail nonstop from two locations that I know I could complete in a weekend. I would only take several days off for an industrial archeology related hike. The neat thing about walking the AT is that you could walk past someone who could have hopped on the trail from any state.

Miner Mike