Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EPA Bans Most Wood-Burning Stoves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 am 
Site Admin

The Obama Administration is after us again....

-----

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/10/0 ... ng-stoves/

EPA Bans Most Wood-Burning Stoves

Written by: Tara Dodrill Politics October 2, 2013 277 Comments

epa wood stove ban

Wood-burning stoves offer warmth and enhance off-grid living options during cold weather months, but the tried-and-true heating devices now are under attack by the Environmental Protection Agency.

The EPA has banned the production and sale of the types of stoves used by about 80 percent of those with such stoves. The regulations limit the amount of “airborne fine-particle matter” to 12 micrograms per cubic meter of air. The current EPA regulations allow for 15 micrograms in the same amount of air space.

Most of the wood stoves currently nestled inside cabins and homes from coast-to-coast don’t meet the new environmental standard. The EPA launched a “Burn Wise” website to help convince the public that the new regulations were needed.

Trading in an old stove for a newer stove isn’t allowed.

“Replacing an older stove with a cleaner-burning stove will not improve air quality if the older stove is reused somewhere else,” the website says. “For this reason, wood stove change out programs usually require older stoves to be destroyed and recycled as scrap metal, or rendered inoperable.”

In some areas of the country, local governments have gone further than the EPA and banned not just the sale of such stoves, but the usage of old stoves – and even the usage of fireplaces. That means that even if you still have a stove or a fireplace, you can’t burn it for fear of a fine. Puget Sound, Washington, is one such location.

The Most Versatile Backup Stove In The World Allows You To Cook Anything, Any Time, Any Where

Burn Wise is a partnership program associated with the EPA that is tasked with emphasizing the “importance of burning the right wood, the right way, in the right stove.” Information shared on the website operated by the federal government also states that both state and local agencies are pursuing ways to improve air quality that relate to wood-burning stoves.

The overall goal of the EPA Burn Wise program is to educate both local governmental agencies and citizens about the need for more “cleaner-burning” in the marketplace. Three of the most recent highlighted articles and webinars on the EPA Burn Wise website include details about a voluntary wood burning fireplace program, strategies for reducing residential wood some in state, tribal, and local communities, and a recording entitled, “Reducing Residential Wood Some: Is it Worth it?”

The EPA also has compiled a list of “approved” stoves.

According to a Washington Times review of the wood stove ban, the most dangerous aspect of the EPA proposed guidelines is the one-size-fits-all approach to the perceived problem. The same wood burning stove rules would apply to both heavily air-pollution laden major cities and far cleaner rural regions with extremely cooler temperatures. Families living in Alaska, or off the grid in wilderness area in the West, will most likely have extreme difficulty remaining in their cold, secluded homes if the EPA wood stove rules are approved.

The Times further said that wood burning stoves put less airborne fine-particle manner in the air than is present from secondhand some in a closed vehicle. When an individual smokes inside a car with the windows up, passengers are reportedly exposed to approximately 4,000 micrograms of soot per cubic meter.

Wrote the Times’ editorial board:

“Alaska’s 663,000 square miles is mostly forested, offering residents an abundant source of affordable firewood. When county officials floated a plan to regulate the burning of wood, residents were understandably inflamed. ‘Everybody wants clean air. We just have to make sure that we can also heat our homes,’ state Rep. Tammie Wilson told the Associated Press. Rather than fret over EPA’s computer-model-based warning about the dangers of inhaling soot from wood smoke, residents have more pressing concerns on their minds such as the immediate risk of freezing when the mercury plunges.”

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/10/0 ... ng-stoves/

Post subject: Re: EPA Bans Most Wood-Burning Stoves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:21 am 
Site Admin

They are already going after Coal power plants, I guess coal stoves and boilers will probably be next....

Miner Greg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:13 am 
Well, that is BS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:07 am 

So how are they planning to enforce this? If they see smoke coming from a chimney they can come in and make sure its the right kind of stove. I smell a rat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 pm 

Wow! Just wow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

The problem with this news, where I live and many other areas which are not near large cities, natural gas is not available. For people like me with out it you either have to go with Oil or Propane (which both are VERY expensive), or you have to go with some sort of solid fuel. When oil was really expensive, it wasn't unheard of for people to spend $500-600 a month just heating their house in the winter.

With the higher prices of energy, I am also noticing more and more houses by me with stacks of wood in their driveways to heat their homes. Coal is certainly making a come back as an alternative to Oil or Propane, but the issue here is the rising cost of energy and the outlawing of cheaper energy. If the prices of Oil and Propane remain high, plentiful cheap energy like wood and coal are outlawed, what are people supposed to do? Will people without natural gas lines need to convert to Wind or Solar to heat their homes?

Miner Greg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:36 pm 

Solution: bootleg the coal, bootleg the wood and keep a double barrel stoked with 00 buckshot for unwanted guests.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:25 pm 

jesus, dude. with all the genuine environmental problems in this country [b]THIS[b is what they're concentrating on!?! (face firmly in palm)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 pm 

I have an" approved" stove...works very well and burns less wood than any other stove I have used.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:03 am 
Site Admin

The problem is though that this is just the start.

Quote:
In some areas of the country, local governments have gone further than the EPA and banned not just the sale of such stoves, but the usage of old stoves – and even the usage of fireplaces. That means that even if you still have a stove or a fireplace, you can’t burn it for fear of a fine. Puget Sound, Washington, is one such location.

While a stove with a reburner is much more efficient and meets the EPA proposed rules today, what happens when they are outlawed like the above quote from the article? What happens to people who have fireplaces in their homes? What happens to campfires?

Miner Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 pm 

wow.... holy f-in wow. Just for that as a big middle finger to the government, i'll load up the stove tonight with bituminous instead of anthracite. :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:54 pm 

I wouldn't recommend bitty for a stove. Real nasty stuff, tons of yellow, smelly smoke.
'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:48 pm 

uuuuhhhh, doug, thats the best part!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:13 am 

Anybody in my neck of the woods that burns coal burns bitty. That's all we got.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

That is the only thing 'unfortunate' about burning anthracite for heat, it burns so clean out of the chimney, you can't even tell it is running! No smoke, no steam, no black smoke... My oil and propane heating neighbors produce more smoke than I do!

Miner Greg