Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: miner Dave's aluminum foundry
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:59 pm 

So how'd your aluminum casting project turn out?

Post subject: Re: miner Dave's aluminum foundry
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 pm 
Haven't poured it yet. We have 45 min. classes, and the first ten is taken up by idiots talking or the teacher giving us safety briefings because one kid always manages to hurt himself or someone else at least once a week. Last week, he burned someone with the oxyfuel. He had the acetylene opened all the way on the tank, and the oxygen valve on the torch opened all the way, so when the other kid lit it, the flame went back on him and gave him a burn on the hand holding the striker. Luckily, he only had 1st degree burns.
I have to cut my sprue and riser, and cut my gates, but the mold itself is complete. Hopefully, I'll pour tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:48 pm 
Well, I poured today. It looks like the vent holes would have done their job well, as there was more smoke coming out of them than was coming out of the sprue and riser holes. I say would because I made a beginner's mistake. I forgot to clear the edges of the cope of sand. Aluminum poured out the seam between the two halves of the flask. This is the first time this has happened to me. Since tomorrow is a half day, I'll have to wait for monday to remake the mold.
On a positive note, my other mold, a paperweight of my own design, poured perfectly. I can't wait to crack it open tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:13 pm 

Glad your paperweight poured good. We expect pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:15 pm 
Will try!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:31 pm 
Ok, the second attempt at the shaker worked, but it was too rough to put on the lathe. Holes and divots in the surface of the part. The teacher won't allow me back in the foundry until I get my welding and CNC done. There was a small hole about 1/2" deep where some sand fell from the top of the mold when I was poking the holes through for the vents. I need to add more parting compound next time. Other than that, it poured perfectly! Sadly, the attempt was returned to the crucible yesterday by accident before I could get pics. For the paperweight, I need to file a little more, and then I'll try to get pics up.
Also, I'm having trouble with the oxyfuel welding. I get the puddle, but the two pieces won't bond. I'm doing fine on MIG, but TIG is also giving me trouble. Can't get a consistent bead. Any advice?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:43 pm 

I have never used a TIG machine. If it gets welded around my place it is either arc welded or forge welded. Oh and MIG for aluminum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:41 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_20150729_210532.jpg
IMG_20150729_210532.jpg [ 422.8 KiB | Viewed 52195 times ]

I started playing with casting again. Here's the first pour. It was a number plaque from a steam engine I had laying around. It's a little rough but not bad for the first time in a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:35 pm 

not bad. Turned out better than my ship. I used a 3D printed model I designed for the master. The first, and only, attempt didn't work out. Don't think I used enough parting compound on the master. I'd LOVE to have my own foundry some day. Maybe make replica builders plates, or other little trinkets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:53 am 

The best parting compound I've found is baby powder.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:08 pm 

I think someone had refilled the bag with the powder that is used to pull the slag to the top, because it was real rough looking, while the compound at the other stations came out nice and easy, and mine took some real persuading to get onto the master. I think the school used ground chalk, like the stuff rock climbers use. I'll have to remember the baby powder thing.