Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caves and the Miners that explore them
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:09 pm 

I have been thinking about posting up here on the forum. Not that I'm going to take away from discussing Mines but I wanted to open up the topic for anyone that wants to discuss any cave topics that they may have. Again Caves are much different than Mines but they do have a lot of similarities. They both have historical value to them, have bats hibernating in them, people research them and explore them, tours are giving in them just like Iron Mines and Coal Mines, and last thing that I can't leave out is they are both cool in temperature. So please feel free to post up any topic that you would like to share. I was supposed to have gone in my first cave out near Pittsburgh a week ago but the weather was to bad to make the trip out to it. Miner Z and Miner TR have had some cool experiences in caves and it would be cool to hear about their stories. Post up pictures if you have them. Thanks

Last edited by Miner Bond on Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:20 pm 

For all you miners out there... this is what the Dresden Z is all about:
several miles of underground passages... (gotten lost a couple times)
crawling/climbing your way through for several hours...
mudslides...
underground waterfalls...
wading through mud/water waist deep...

check out the following site for some cooler water/mud shots at Casparis Cave in PA... first and best ive ever been in:
http://www.karst.org/pgrotto/casparis_cave_photo_page.htm

ill try to get some better pics up in the future.
heres a few disposable camera shots for now:

Bear Cave - in Blairsville, PA:
the "chimnying" technique
not that tight... really
the usual
some shit is hard to climb

Trout Cave - in West Virginia (aka Deliverence country):
Image[url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 am 

Z,

Sweet! Awesome that you posted some pics up. I think I might have seen some of the pictures but not sure it's been awhile. Look pretty cool man. Can't wait to check it out. Not sure if I asked you before but is the Bear Cave normally a tour cave? Do you know and info about the cave, like bat quantity, types of bats, how old or the history of the cave?
Does TR have any caving pictures? Let me know if we can still plan for the Bear Cave trip for this March. I can come back out around spring break to see ya and then check out the cave. Let me know, papa smurf doesn’t care if I pick ya up, he's not sure what's going on with that! Talk to ya later man,

Last edited by Miner Bond on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:48 pm 

Mike,

You should post up the pictures of the cave/mine that we were in last weekend, it's a first for you man without a tour guide! Hey wait a minute it's my first time to! Still say that it was really strange seeing that in a mine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, for those of you who have never seen a cave intersect a mine... or rather a mine intersect a cave, I present to you the Sunk Mine Cave. Two additional adit explorations will be featured on the site soon. This is a preview...

The mine tunnel is seen crosscutting the natural cave passage. Flowstone can be seen.

Looking in the cave, a stalactite can be seen.

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:31 am 

Thanks Mike for posting up the picture, still hard to believe what we saw. Just goes to show that you never know what your going to encounter in a mine or a Sunk Mine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:10 am 

http://www.karst.org/bear_cave1.htm Totally sucks "Z" It will have to be sometime this summer when your back, I will see this cave someday man, don't care what it takes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:03 am 

http://www.batcon.org/home/index.asp?idPage=56 this was interesting to find out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:50 pm 

Miner Z and Miner TR,

You guys remember where the local caves are near Blair. TR you went into one last year that wasn't to far from the house right? I would be curious to see it when your back from school. I keep thinking about the Bear Cave Z it's killing me! We can try again next year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:36 am 

Being home from college means more mine and cave adventures, and more time spent in this forum.
There are nearly 10 caves in the surrounding Blairstown area.
If I recall, Miner Bond, you were in Bear Cave near the old A&P, right?
At least 3 be found off of Shades of Death Rd. out towards Great Meadows, not far from Ghost Lake. Miner Bond, you were in 1 of 3 caves in that area. It was right up the shore from the lake, and is heavily graffitied. The 2nd is a few hundred yards away from the 1st near the lake. The 2nd is just a straight, tight, rather unexciting tunnel, about 50ft in length. The 3rd is the best. It's nearly 160ft in length, consisting of various rooms and formations. You have to crawl through most of it.
The best caves that I was in around our area are in the Yellow Frame cave system. Miner Bond, remember Z and I couldn't find them the first time? Well my friend took me to them. These ones you can actually walk through, although still some tight parts. The Yellow Frame caves have been excavated a bit since they have history of Indian inhabitation. Buckets and tools have been left in 1 of them. I'll have to show you and Z them this summer, if I can remember how to get to them! But don't fear, I'll remember where to go when we get there.

On another note. I know of another cool location in Hardwick, right outside of Blairstown. It's an old abandoned cement factory. It would be GREAT to play airsoft out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:53 am 

TR,

Dude welcome back again man. It was sweet hanging out Friday night! Ricky is a freak man! :lol:

I want to go back to the 1cave that I checked out awhile ago with you and Z. Wow! 10 caves in the area! I don't remeber the 1 cave to well and I didn't take any pictures, what the hell is wrong with me :roll: Anytime after work man I'm free to check them all out, just contact me on the BAT PHONE
Image The Yellow Frame cave system sounds like a must! I hope that the vdub master can research it's location again.I just hope that
dosen't have a problem with the trips that we plan this spring and summer while you are home, that wouldn't be good! Pa pa smurf needs to be good to his little mining smurfs!

I'm game for some airsoft. I need to stock up before the mission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:50 pm 

I was exploring Tory's cave again with some novices and just as I was on my way out I decided to check out a room I'd been in many times before. Looking around I found a small space I never noticed and followed it up. It goes up 10 feet then straight out another 10 and ends in a small room. There were several other small passages in different directions but didn't want to explore them without somone competant to aid me. I looked on the map and it is not on it. I call it the "isolation room". You can get 2 people in it and it is just low enough that you can't stand all the way up. It is the highest chamber in the cave aside from the gated-off section. I'm questioning if they connect, if they don't there is another area in the big room that may..

Post subject: The Decent Movie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:33 pm 

Hey anyone see the movie that's currently out in the theaters: The Decent? I'm curious how the movie is. I didn't see it yet and would love to hear a review on it. Miner Z or Miner TR did you guys go see it yet or are you planning on going to see it?

Last edited by Miner Bond on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Admin

I heard a few people saw it and liked it. I haven't seen it myself. Would be interrested in seeing it.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:43 pm 

Greg,

Over this past weekend I got to see it and I liked it a lot but it wasn't like I exspected but it was still good. Check it out if you can or rent it when it's on DVD.

Last edited by Miner Bond on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.