Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Theall and McCollum Magentic mine & Brewster Mine
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:18 pm 

Dear all-

I preface by thanking Greg for allowing me to join the Mine Forum.

My name is Charles, I live in Poughkeepsie and I'm new to mining. However I have been down into a few mines (I will never forget a sign on one mine elevator in Colorado stating "do not fart while riding elevator" :lol: ) and one in New Jersey which shut down about two decades ago (I visited it on a school trip).

As an aspiring reference librarian I try to collect as much information as possible and organize it so that I can provide to for other's benefit in future use. This would be the vintage USGS topographic maps for the North-East United States.

What particularly interests me is the mines near me- particularly the recently demolished Theall and McCollum Magnetic mine and the Brewster mine. I have always wanted to go into an abandoned mine but being inexperienced scares me from doing so (particularly Black Damp). Aside from Coal Mines, do air problems occur in Iron Mines and in non-coal mines? Please advise.

Charles

Last edited by the reference on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:15 am 

Welcome aboard you will find information on this forum that you will not find any where else. GREAT group of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:22 am 

if you ever decide to check out a coal mine, let me know. you can read about abandoned coal mine gasses on our site: http://www.undergroundminers.com/safety.html

for more information on gasses found, or not found in hard rock mines one of the hard rock boys will chime in here....... thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:03 am 
Site Admin

I just moved this message over to the Hard Rock Forum as it will get better exposure here.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:28 pm 

Hi Charles,
Welcome to ironminers.com! the brewster and croton magnetic are very fascinating mines. Air quality problems are rarely encountered in hard rock mines. My area of expertise is the iron mines of putnam county NY, although I live across the border in CT, the majority of my research during the past 4 years has been focused primarily on those east of the hudson. -Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:57 pm 

rail haulage miners wrote:
Welcome aboard you will find information on this forum that you will not find any where else. GREAT group of people.

Chris wrote:
if you ever decide to check out a coal mine, let me know. you can read about abandoned coal mine gasses on our site: http://www.undergroundminers.com/safety.html

for more information on gasses found, or not found in hard rock mines one of the hard rock boys will chime in here....... thanks

Miner Greg wrote:
I just moved this message over to the Hard Rock Forum as it will get better exposure here. Miner Greg

Miner CTMike wrote:
Hi Charles,
Welcome to ironminers.com! the brewster and croton magnetic are very fascinating mines. Air quality problems are rarely encountered in hard rock mines. My area of expertise is the iron mines of putnam county NY, although I live across the border in CT, the majority of my research during the past 4 years has been focused primarily on those east of the hudson. -Mike

Miner CT Mike, Miner Greg, Chris, and "Real Haulage Miners:"

I don't want to clog this thread with personal replies, so I combined all of your posts. Thanks for welcoming me to the board. I have MUCH to learn about mining. The videos of "Black Damp" really discourage me from exploring coal mines.

I come from an interest in "Urban Exploring," but I hope these members have a lesser tendency of "flaming" other members threads than what exists on Urban Explorer websites :roll: So far I haven't seen people bash other's explorations and photography skills on this board

I will try to be on this board more often. I had to help my parents for over a week so I had no time to check this board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

I think we are a friendly crowd here, so you have no worries about one user bashing another user. Everyone has to start somewhere, so there is nothing wrong with asking questions.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:00 pm 

for a glimpse inside the famous brewster mine check this out !
http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=20016

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:03 pm 

to see the croton magnetic mine / theall mccolumn mine before the site was destroyed check this out
http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... de36ed6055

all the above ground features were destroyed, and the mine back filled, entombing what we estimated to be 1000s of bats :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:31 am 

Anyone have pics of what now stands on the magnetic mine property since developers took over. I'm curious to see how screwed up the place looks ..that's progress as they say. I wonder who got the mining equipment that was scattered about the grounds. Also., read there's another entrance to the mine..(?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

Well, we were there in August to take a look at the remains of the site. The pictures of adit are seen here:

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=19703

The metal building was still there, but that was all that was left. Everything else was destroyed. Someone else posted something up about the mine when destruction first began, from my understanding, all of the mining equipment was cut or broken up and buried. Noone was able to save any artifacts from the mine. This was a big shame as there was a lot in intact equipment still on the grounds of this mine, which was destroyed forever. This was really too bad. I didn't take too many photos, that last visit, I might have another photo looking back..

I'm not sure how long you have known about the site, but were you ever able to take any photos of the place? If you were able to have taken any, we'd be very interested if you wanted to share some. Thanks again.

Miner Greg