Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glenburn Remains
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:23 pm 

Location: Documenting anthracite mining history, one photograph at a time
I was browsing the Anthracite region section of another photographers website, and I noticed this shot of the Glenburn remains...

I was wondering if anyone knows if this building, or any others there are still standing? I think most of the pictures on that sire are from 05-06, who knows what can happen in 2-3 years. Though I don't know my way around Shamokin, I've only been there twice (once to watch the coal drop at midnight!). so if anyone knows whats left, and can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:05 pm 

is that steps going up out of that building, or is it the incline for the refuse cars? i know that is still there, not sure about this building. i also havent been there in about a year. that mine was pretty neat. there was a bomb shelter a few hundred feet in the tunnel. said "fallout shelter" in the concrete. there were still cans of food in there, pretty cool. about a year ago they were gating the openings, however when we were there last there was a pretty nasty rockfall in the tunnel just on the other side of the road. you could get under if if you wanted but youd have to crawl through about 2 feet of yellow boy muck. no good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:24 pm 

It's the incline for the refuse cars. I think just about everything on the highway side is gone now. Not sure about the far side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:38 pm 

that looked like the incline, but wasnt that a double set of tracks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:31 pm 

Right in my alley.

Cameron Colliery --> http://www.daladophotography.com/gallery/4115891

That building was the main portion of the colliery. It still stands, along with the Dinky House, part of the Wash House, Pump Shaft, the "tour" Drift, and only a few other small buildings. The other part of the Wash House and Offices were destroyed a year or so ago for the new bridge. Those steps are also still there and lead to the settling pond at your middle left of the photo below. The double tracks to the bank are not in AP's photo.

On a side note, submitted an application to the Historic Commission to get a marker at the Cameron Colliery. Would be thrilled to win. Such a great colliery, wouldnt know it now...Btw, anyone know how much of a pain it would be to take the coal car on the Dinky House, restore it, and display it near the site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:33 pm 

Location: Documenting anthracite mining history, one photograph at a time
thanks for the info guys, i'll have to go have a look around Shamokin sometime soon, and go back to the Rosini Coal building i saw there last time too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:50 pm 

The coal car move would be no problem. The biggest thing is to see if local funds could be released to pay for materials & equipment costs. The second thing is to have permission to display the car with a historic marker. That is more challenging than the car part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 pm 

dont speak too soon......you guys will get a kick out of where the car is! you need to see this! its at the top of the mountain, in the dump house in mid dump! here ya go.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm 

I really am gonna try to get something for that site. If the marker doesnt go well, maybe a monument. I have been in talks with the county historical society and they thought maybe we could do something even bigger. Funding, of course, would prolly be a problem.

Chris, even if I did get land owners permission and somehow get the funding, you think its even possible to get a crane up there and get that thing out? Would love to do this and hell, maybe even hire you guys to restore it...

Its just a shame theres not one monument or plaque in my area that deals with mining. You must drive to Ashland (20 minutes) to get any appreciation for it. Sad for an area that is based off it.

D.

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:39 pm 

yes i agree there should definatly be a monument there at the colliery site, as that was one of the largest collieries in the region. im sure some way it can be plucked out of there! is there a road up to it yet? i havent been there in a few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:47 am 

No Problem. . . What is the big deal :?: If there is an access point to where you took that picture we can probably get it out of there. :idea:

Don't forget we are machinery movers & I know exactly what we can use but it might require a little funding & a few phone calls\

O.K. you airplane nuts :D no we are not going to fly it out of there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:05 am 

hmm, now thats a good idea...... a skycrane!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... image&cd=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:04 pm 

You could completely reproduce that car from scratch before a check would even be considered to pay for that. Those are MEGA BUCKS. The only time we consider using those are on 30 story office buildings & up to change air conditioning units out. In most cases it cost more for the move than the A.C. unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:28 pm 

yea but it would much cooler to use the helo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:58 am 
Site Admin

I assume that car got up there by hoist. Is the hoist or cable still up there? If the rail line is still intact, sprag it on it's way down!

Miner Greg