Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello Everybody
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:36 pm 

What's up? My name is Jon and I'm from Monticello NY. I became interested in the abandoned mines in my area while trying to locate cave systems. I have already visited the Sunray tunnel, and might be going to the Shawangunk mines this Saturday. If anybody is ever in my area, drop me a line!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:19 pm 

Hi Jon- welcome to ironminers.com! If you venture up to shawangunk lead mine you may find that the adits are totally frozen over solid with ice! I know we will be doing another big trip up there in the spring so you may want to join us and check out the mine then. - CT Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:36 pm 

Mike,

That's ok, I enjoy hiking, and am anxious just to find the adit locations. Unfortunately the two people who were supposed to go with me had to cancel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, last time we went this time of the year, the adits were pretty frozen solid. All of the drips of water in front of the openings just turned into thick sheets of ice. That was one heck of a cold trip.

Even driving on the railroad was interesting because the puddles were ice frozen on top. CT Mike's jeep rode nicely on top of the puddles. My Cherokee went right through each ice puddle. Halfway across the puddle, crash as my Jeep went through. Ended up losing a tire in that as well.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:05 am 

They posted the railroad HEAVILY. There are signs every twenty feet or so that say no motor vehicles. Last time we tried going, it took about 25 minutes or so at a moderate pace to get to where you would go up the mountain. The DEC here can be hard to deal with, so I wouldn't take the risk of driving in.

When we went to Sunray, we tried going to Shawangunk also. The directions I got said there was mining done to the left of the railroad (the trail is just before the one to go up the mountain). We found a couple of foundations and stone walls, as well as a couple of telephone pole cable anchors. Apparently there are dumps down there too but we ran short of time.