Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To the Editor: MSHA Not Needed in State Coal Mines
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:29 am 

Mike A sent this to me and I thought it would be good to throw on here --

MSHA not needed in state coal mines

To the Editor:

In a recent article in The Republican & Herald, local state representatives said they wanted to promote coal as Pennsylvania's main source of energy.

Nice thought, isn't it? Less dependence on foreign oil. Maybe cheaper gas prices. But then reality kicks in and our happy thoughts turn into our deepest nightmare — the Mine Safety and Health Administration.

In reality, there isn't any reason that coal shouldn't be our main source of energy. There is plenty of coal in the state.

Anthracite is the cleanest burning fossil fuel (even cleaner than oil) and the same fuel Jack Rich is trying to get funding to produce is being produced and used in South Africa.

Why can't Pennsylvania use coal as its main energy source? I'll tell you why — because the federal mine inspectors want coal to be nonexistent in Pennsylvania.

Anyone in the coal business will tell you that Pennsylvania doesn't need MSHA to regulate their mines. Pennsylvania has its own mine inspectors who know how to regulate the different types of mining in the state.

MSHA goes by the book and that is the problem. They use the same book for all the mines in the United States. Not good!

The best example I can give anyone that they would understand is that not every road has the same speed limit. The same goes for mining. Our anthracite mines in Pennsylvania are completely different from a West Virginia soft coal mine. We can't be regulated with laws that don't pertain to our type of mining. We don't know how we can make the government understand this.

If local state representatives really want coal in the state, the first and most important thing they should do is to get legislation to abolish MSHA in Pennsylvania.

Let our own state mine inspectors do their jobs. The mining industry doesn't need to be double regulated and our state inspectors are all familiar with the type of mining in this area. Most MSHA inspectors are from the soft coal region.

We can make Pennsylvania a coal-rich state if we all stick together and abolish MSHA from our state. Call your state representatives and tell them to fight for our local coal industry. Keep honest, hard working people in business.

God bless and may 2008 be a year of positive change for the coal industry.

Lori Bender

Joliett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:30 am 

Everyone want to see the local anthracite mines stay in business? Start fighting for them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:41 am 

Beat me to it.
Too bad I was sick and sleeping on and off all day, or I would've gotten to post it first.

;)

~S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:50 am 

I was actually curious how it did pop up on here through you yet! Buuutt I figured you gave up on this pack of moles so I put it up.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:29 am 

Because Mike A sent it to YOU first, and not ME.
I'm offended.
;)

I wouldn't give up on you moles.

xox
~S

Post subject: Re: To the Editor: MSHA Not Needed in State Coal Mines
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:40 pm 

Hi I just joined today(3-2-2012) and couldn't agree with you more, but now that Trumka is a big shot, forget it..I have a lot of history in the coal mines of Washington and Greene counties Pa..Joe R. :lol:

Post subject: Re: To the Editor: MSHA Not Needed in State Coal Mines
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:34 pm 

do you work UG joe?