Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mines in Jermyn, PA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:41 pm 

I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen these mine openings behind Aylesworth park in Jermyn? There is this one I have pictures of, then there are two more openings about 20 yards up the hill from it. I didnt have a flashlight so I couldnt see how far they went in...

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/561611138JdplOT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing the pictures. WebShots.com also supports direct linking of the images... I am just posting your direct images for people to view:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:27 pm 

yep, we have seen them and also just took a look last year. alot of water and bad top first 30-50 feet. complete rock fall 50 feet in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:51 pm 

Hello All!

4600John & Chris- I never heard of a Mine near Aylesworth before. The above photo's are very interesting. What would have been the name of the Coal Company that mined in that particular area? The only other obscure Mine in the area that I'm aware of is right on Rushbrook Rd past the Roosevelt Highway about 1/8 of a mile out of Jermyn on the left hand side as your heading toward Chapman Lake. The Foundation of a Breaker or some other Building is still visible form the road. Take Care .

Seat Belts save lives, Buckle up every time you drive or ride in a vehicel. The life you save may be your own!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 pm 

that was part of the edgerton mine. there was company houses up there, breaker and a few drifts. some remains today. they were from the mid 1800s!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Chris, you're holding out on me. You know how bad I want to stare into the mouth of a mid-1800's coal mine! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:09 am 

theres nothing left up there in ways of mines though. there is another one besides this one but like i said they only go in maybe 30 feet before a collapse. plus you cant drive up to them anymore, so its like an hour hike around up there. thought you boys would like to spend your time better than walking all over a mountain when you come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:46 am 

I remember that hike! it was like 110 degrees in the blazing sun, with the possibility of a thunder shower which made it more humid than anything, wearing black BDU's, climbing a mountain, I had a blast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:44 pm 

I'm going to have to go up there again and get better pictures with my good camera, since these are from the Edgerton mine, I've been doing some research on this town, when it warms up I'm going to have to do some more exploring up there. What other remains are there besides these mines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:48 pm 

Coalminersgrandson wrote:
The only other obscure Mine in the area that I'm aware of is right on Rushbrook Rd past the Roosevelt Highway about 1/8 of a mile out of Jermyn on the left hand side as your heading toward Chapman Lake. The Foundation of a Breaker or some other Building is still visible form the road.

I've been wondering what those foundations were from for years, it never occured to me they could be mine related, I'll have to take a closer look at these as well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:32 pm 

hey john, if you can make it out this sunday to the presentation at the anthracite museum in scranton ill introduce you to a guy who will be there that knows all about edgerton and its mines. there are a few old stone foundations of some of the houses and im told a good place to go with a metal detector.

as for the foundations on 107, i believe they are mine related but not sure what for. down by rt 6 on the same side as the foundations there is evidence of some old mines and one was by the that small telephone building at the intersection of rt6 and 107. up the hill across 107 from those foundations theres some remains also. that is one place id like to walk around more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:05 pm 

Hello All!

When I was in Jermyn last Summer for a visit with Walter Avery, we walked over to Edgerton from the Merideth St Exit off the Casey Highway & walked down this Path up the Mountain east of Mayfield & we saw the ruins of Edgerton & the Foundations of some of the Houses & Breaker there. Plus, We saw some Spikes from the Tracks the Lokies used to go in & out of the mine there & we also walked over to The Edgerton Resevoir & Walt said that Folks used to walk over there from Mayfield & Jermyn to pick Huckleberries & have Picnics also. Very interesting area to see. We did not notice the Holes for the Mine Shaft in the Photo above as we were over at Aylesworth Park & we were about to go from Edgerton from there. However, a Creek was swollen from some rain the week before & we decided not to cross it as it was running across the path we were going to walk to Edgerton to & as a result, we drove over to Merideth St & Walked from there to Edgerton. That was a long walk indeed, But fun. Take Care all.

Seat Belts save lives, Buckle up every time you drive or ride in a vehicel. The life you save may be your own!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:26 pm 

Hello All!

While talking to Walt, He mentioned the name of the Mine on Rte 107 as The West Mountain Coal Company( where the foundations are located at) in Jermyn. Now that the name is known, maybe the Mine Museum in Scranton may have some documetation about the company for research purposes. Take Care All.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:24 pm 

nice photos, i never saw that mine opening before! drove by those ruins hundreds of times but never stopped. is that mine on the same side as the ruins or across the road? i know there are some filled drifts on the hill across the road but never saw that one you posted, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:12 am 

That mine is in a different location then the foundations. The mine is on the right side of the road if you go on main st. in Jermyn then keep to the right on the Y going towards Eynon, go past the trailer park on the right and its a couple hundred yards past the trailer park in the woods, about 50 yards in. Im pretty sure theres also an opening up behind the foundations, I searched a little bit but it was too wet out and I was tired so I didnt look too far.