Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Historic Edison Mine House Destroyed by Fire
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:47 am 
Site Admin

I read this today in the Daily Record but already found the article posted on AbandonedMines.net by Mikedc3. I thought it was important so please follow the link to http://forums.abandonedmines.net/viewtopic.php?t=206.

For those of you who don't know, Thomas Edison played a vital role in the history of iron mining, ore milling, and magnetic ore separation technology. His Edison Mine located atop Sparta Mountain was where he spent a good part of his life developing and refining his ore purification technologies. A number of his patents deal with the concentration, separation, milling, crushing, and conveying of iron ore. For a detailed account of his work here, I highly recommend Rodney Johnson's publication Thomas Edison's "Ogden Baby". It can be purchased on his website at http://www.map-maker.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, this is certainly a terrible loss as far as history and what's left of Thomas Edision's homes from the mining era. Luckily the other house isn't to badly damaged. The old homes seem to burn nicely which is ashame.

Has anyone gotten over there to take any photos of what is left?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:59 pm 

That is terrible i have been past that house numerous times when i lived in jersey. To bad another piece of history up in smoke.

Well there's Your problem - Mythbusters

Caution: anything posted above may not be real, I am imaginary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:55 pm 

Did edison get into any other mining, or only iron ore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately the photo in the paper showed that there is practically nothing left. Edison's magnetic ore separating technology could also be adapted to separate other minerals that after being pulverized, could be separated by electromagnets. After abandoning his iron mining venture, Edison started the Edison Portland Cement Company where he quarried limestone to manufacture cement. In fact Edison envisioned the mass production of houses made of concrete. Of course that was never to happen but it is interesting to see some of this concrete architecture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:54 pm 

An interesting fact about Edison on the mining frontier. He spent so much time & money on his ideas about ore seperation that it almost made him bankrupt. He practically lived in the mine & many people told him to give up. He became obsessed with this notion & never gave up. I believe there were several inventions that came about from his mining epic. I still do not recall if his mining business ideas were a true success though. Does anyone else know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Technically his ideas were revolutionary and changed the scope of mining. However he was simply unable to profit from these brilliant ideas. Perhaps if the great mid western iron ranges had not been discovered as soon, he would have been very successful. But, he simply could not compete.

Edison's mine was not an underground mine but basically large scale open pit mining of lean ore. The underground mines that exist on the site are known as the Ogden Mines and preceded Edison's venture. Edison chose not to reopen those mines as the cost of rehabilitating them would be unprofitable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:47 pm 

There is an Edison Mine in Menlo Park which is actually underground. Ive read a little about it. Dont recall if its Iron or not, i think its copper.. Not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

I almost forgot about that one! Yes, it is a copper mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:55 pm 

We should visit it one day, who knows whats left.

Ever heard of the Annandale Mine? That was working in the mid 20th century. HUGE!!!

We need to get out and finish up NJ mines