Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi all. I'm new here
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:04 pm 

Hello all you UG explorers and keepers of the mining flame. My name is Gary, and I was an hard rock miner from 1972 - 1983. I was out on the web, looking for pictures of places I had mined when I stumbled across Ironminers.com. Among the projects I worked at during those 11 or so years was, Mt Hope. After reading about Mt Hope at this site, I now know more than I did when I was actually working there. I had no idea there was such a rich mining history in the NJ area. I of course, had heard that Mt Hope had a history going back to the 1700's, but in 1977 there was no internet and those historical records were probably scattered all over the east coast.

I was working at a copper mine in Maine 1972-1976 (rubber tired, high tech), and our ore was running out. One of our engineers went to NJ to work at Mt Hope, and brought several of us miners down to help get it going. I got there just as the place was finished draining. It was a step back in time to the 50's. I was a jumbo driller, and heavy equipment was what we used. I had never even seen a underground rail system till Mt Hope. The drifts were small, the rail gauge looked like something from a amusement park and I had to watch my head everywhere. It was a major pain to get it back in operation, and it would have taken more money than Halecrest had to really get it running. Was quite an experience, but luckily for me, I went right from there to a new copper mine outside Salt Lake City, and to a brand new Jarvis Clark MJM21 3 boom jumbo with my name on it. Stayed at that mine till copper prices took a dump in 1983 and they pulled the plug on it.

Anyhow... I wish that I had taken photo's along my mining journey. The only 2 photo's I had, were used in an art project in college so now I have nada. I can however, share my experiences.

Stay safe! down there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. Its interesting, but up until recently, the mine buildings looked outside and inside probably just as they looked when you were there. Yes, a lot of stuff was certainly out of the 50's. Looking at gauges and electronics from way back.. Certainly some stuff was older, but it is a warp back in time going in there. I'd be curious to know any experiences you'd like to share during your time there.

What were some of the major hurtles which prevented the mine from going into full operation? How much of it was to meet current safety regulations vs repairing / replacing technology which was underwater for 20 years or so? How about the underground ore crusher? It would be interesting to know how far that got to making the mine fully operation and any inside information which prevented the mine from actually staying in service.

Miner Greg

Post subject: Maine copper
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:20 am 

Hi Redman,
Where was the Cu mine you were working in Maine? I get over there sometimes, and might enjoy a side-trip...
minerPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:25 am 
Site Admin

Been to Maine once, but never to any of the mines in the state. Pretty place, it would be interesting to know what is left of the mining era there.

Miner Greg