Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glen Alden Coal Company two drum slusher
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:13 pm 

Well we aqcuired another piece of equipment yesterday, a two drum slusher from a mine site in the southern field. It's complete with it's brass equipment ID tags from Glen Alden. A lot of equipment from the Northern Field ended up in the Southern Field when the big collierys closed down. If I get the chance I can look up the ID number and see what mine this two drum slusher came from and when it was sold.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:30 pm 

here is how the 2 drum slusher, or drag, would load the mine car. it used a V shaped bucket to drag the coal to the car. it uses 2 cables, 1 to pull the bucket to the face, and the other cable to pull it to the mine car. this pic is of the bucket loading the car. the rest of the unit is out of view. ill post up some pics of the one we got tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice find! How complete is it?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:34 pm 

All the important stuff is there. The only thing it's missing is the bucket, which is easy to find, and the wire rope which you can get at a hardware store.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

The controller looks a little bad, but I'm sure it could be rewired. It would be interesting to know where they used this. For all you know at Huber!

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:15 pm 

The controller isn't original to the slusher. The way it was wired it would change the motor direction not the speed. I'm sort of wondering if it was being used as a small hoist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:39 pm 

thats very possible the way it was wired, and with the brakes cut, maybe they were controlling it electrically instead of mechanically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

So does this mean it was just on and off, no speed control?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:50 am 

Correct, the only controls on it would have been the brakes for each drum. It sort of worked like a rearend in a truck. You could put the brake on one drum and it would stop but the other would still go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Okay, makes sense.. However you now have like a hoist speed controller on it, correct?

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:35 am 

It's a mine motor controller. It didn't have a resistor bank on it so they could only get forward and reverse, no speeds. Still haven't figured out why it was set up like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:32 pm 

i think to find out why it was set up that way, we may need to remove the drums and see if the clutch is broken or jammed. maybe they eliminated the mechanical reversing clutch and just used the mine motor controller for directional control. then varied the speed using the brakes. but then why were the brakes cut? that could have been done late to unwind the wire if they were stuck. theres alot of mystery in these old pieces we acquire to restore. thats half the fun, trying to reverse engineer the design to figure out how they worked or why they were modified. i dont think one single piece of equipment remains original, not modified in some sort of way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, that is true.. there certainly is a lot of fun figuring out why this was done and what is this.. I guess when it comes to mining, everything is modified to suite it's purpose. If you think of it in that kind of respect, there is no such thing as original.

Miner Greg