Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: questions that i hope that can be answered
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:37 am 

I have some questions for the underground miners.com group which I hope they can answer me.

1. What is the location of this rail project for the mantrip that they plan on restoring.
2. Can anybody go and take a look at it?
3. Where can someone get an old mine car? I have been looking for one in the Nanticoke area that I would love to own but I seem to be looking in all the wrong places. Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:54 pm 

Believe it or not check with local scrap yards you would be suprised. I have seen several mine related items and mine car parts over the years in various scrapyards in this area. (I live in Wilkes BArre) I know for a fact that Tabbits in larksville has a set or had as of recently, of wheels and axles from a mine car. THere are many interesting things you never know, although its not mine related valentis actually has a horse drawn street grater. That should give you some idea to expect the unexpected. The nice thing is with the price of metals going up this stuff should strt comming out of the wood work. I restore cars as a hobby so i am often making junkyard trips. Ill keep my eyes pealed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:53 pm 

Yeah hes right I have seen mining related materials, I have been dealing with scrap for a while make decent money a pickup truck load today about 1 ton got me 220 dollars. The buildings at mikes scrap yard in dickson city are old coaliry buildings im almost certain..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:25 pm 

Wow those scrap prices are really low compared to out here in Ohio. Interesting. . . Are they very small scrap yards because that will explain it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:16 pm 

Most of our scrap yards are mom and pop jobs. The biggest is Allan Industries and Solomons and there not really big.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:50 am 

Why what are the prices like out in Ohio #1 steel here is about $11 a hundred/...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:08 am 

Why what are the prices like out in Ohio #1 steel here is about $11 a hundred/...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:33 pm 

You want two mantrips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:00 am 

Dalado Sure...send us a PM with the info.

Last edited by rail haulage miners on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:50 am 

i called around down in the altoona area and they're only willing to give $8 a hundred for a bunch of sheet metal scrap i have. that's $160 a ton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:38 pm 

Thats about right..The heavy steel is worth more, and then if it is in small pieces 3' by 3' you will get a little more because it does not have to be cut to be loaded into trucks....