Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Brunswick tungsten mine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:20 pm 

i just got back from the 5 day new brunswick trip, the theme of the trip was simply touring the far northern coast and country side. alot of time was spent in the jeep with the top and windshield folded down, blasting across beaches, off roading through dense mossy forest and exploring acadien fishing villages. the locals were very receptive to all my mining related questions, and on the second day of the trip our focus turned to finding a local tungsten mine abandoned in the 1980s. after a 40 min. drive up a barren road we saw no clues of mining so we started heading back disapointed that we were probably not in the right area, on the way back i notice what looked like a street sign on one of the side dirt roads/ trails the sign said MINE but had no arrows which way, some more poking around yeilded another sign that said ROAD CLOSED and MINING OPERATIONS. at the end of the road was an enormous mine that did not look abandoned, Sofie jumped out of the jeep and started looking around, as i was taking a few pictures, soon she was talking to the care taker of the mine! he agreed to let us look around a little and was very friendly and knowledgable! he said the mine closed in the 1980s and it was totally flooded but was going to be reopened soon as the price of tungsten ore had shot up quite a bit. i was very inpressed with the size of the facility! on the last day of the trip we found out about the coal mines of nova scotia and that they were open and probably explorable! we also got the location to some open and very old copper mines that had adits near the ocean shore, the guy said that there was even an ore cart just out side one adit! we just didnt have time on sunday to look for these, but really must take a trip back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:52 pm 

That sounds like a cool mine. Nice trip :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Please see photos for the New Brunswick Tungsten Mine here:

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... 686#105686

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

Yes that was certainly a very good find Mike. What is very interesting about this operation is how 80's it is. The facility from the outside is very impressive, much of an 80's style. Still pretty well kept from the photos, it just has a very 80's theme to it. While this mine is certainly not what we are use to in terms of mining technology and mining methods, it would be pretty interesting to document when they open back up and finish dewatering the mine. It would be interesting knowing their production numbers as this does seem to be a pretty sizeable operation.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, I'm glad you got a chance to get out there and that your injury hasn't deterred your spirit and enthusiasm one bit! Yes, the mine looks very modern and almost alien to what we are accustomed to seeing. Do you know if the mine was in private ownership after it was closed (perhaps in hopes of the price of tungsten rising again) or was it simply abandoned?

The copper mines along the shore sounds very much like the description of some of the tin mines in Cornwall. There, the mine headframe and workings are visible right from the shore. I'm excited to see the IronMiners are starting to go international!