Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iron Mine Talk Sept. 30
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:57 pm 

Here is a message I received from a friend in NJ:
"On Tuesday, Sept. 30th there will be a very interesting meeting on Iron Mining in No. NJ @ the Morris Museum, Bickford Theatre, 6 Normandy Heights Road, Morristown @ 7pm by an old time retired miner. Highly recommended, and free. Pass the word on to others."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:02 pm 

Thanks for the info will do my best too go, could you imagine, what the man ,could tell you of iron mining?of course all the iron mines were done long ago but would be interesting too hear ,about them Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting this up Mike. If you don't mind, who is giving the talk?

Miner Greg

Post subject: New Jersey Mining Lecture by Ron Mishkin - 9/30/08
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 pm 

The Tri-State Railway Historical Society is proud to host a lecture given by Mr. Ron Mishkin, former Iron/Zinc Mine Geologist and noted mining historian.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at the Bickford Theater in the Morris Museum, 6 Normandy Heights Road, Morristown, NJ 07960.

This location is just off Columbia Turnpike (Route 510) between Route 24 and Interstate 287. The meeting will start at 7:30 PM.

Mr. Ron Mishkin will reminisce about his experiences working in the iron mines at Mount Hope, Mine Hill (Scrub Oaks Mine), and the New Jersey Zinc Mine in Franklin, in addition to other mines in Arizona and elsewhere. He will have photographs and artifacts to illustrate his extraordinary memories. His recollections combine a first-hand knowledge of the men and machinery with the colorful context of how they fit into their era and their mission. Now in his 70's, Mr. Mishkin often speaks about the mines and is a regular tour guide at the Sterling Hill Mining Museum in Ogdensburg.

This meeting is not to be missed. All are welcome, and admission and parking are free.

For more details and directions to the Bickford Theatre, please visit the Tri-State Railway Historical Society's website at
[url]http://tristaterail.org/meeting.html[/url] .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

I would highly recommend anyone fascinated with mining history to attend Ron's presentation. He has very interesting stories of the people he worked with and of the many years he spent underground. He narrates a vivid picture of his experiences and is a walking book of knowledge. I worked with him at Sterling Mine giving tours and he knows how to make a mine tour really come alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Especially being a miner himself, these types of presentation from an actual miner gives you an experience that you would never learn of otherwise.

Miner Greg