Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remains in Plymouth
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:11 pm 

Anybody know what is behind the family dollar in plymouth? i drove past the other day and i saw a bunch of concreate foundations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:10 am 

That was all part of the Nottingham Colliery. The breaker was built in 1905 and demolished in 1936. It stood approximately where Family Dollar's parking lot is today. After 1936 coal mined here was processed at the Lance colliery in larksville, this breaker was near where classic pizza is now, which incidentally was the lamphouse. a filled shaft from the lance exists behind Curry Donut. My friends uncle who owns Desiderio Construction owns the property. The nottingham was in operation for many years prior to the construction of the breaker in 1905. In fact Campus Collision on Nottingham st are in buildings that have a stone which reads "Nottingham coal works 1866" check it out next time you are there. By the way if you are in Nanticoke and up for checking stuff out i am in wilkes barre send me a PM. I also actually have a picture of the nottingham being built.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:03 am 

In addition I have a pretty good history of the nottingham which was written by Dr Davis of plymouth in 1940. I will post it here in the next few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 pm 

thats awsome my great grandfather worked at the nottingham,lance, washington, and i think avondale after it reopend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:11 pm 

when they built the Nottingham that was to replace the washington which stood where the armory in plymouth is today. The washington was demolished in 1907.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:03 pm 

ok then he didnt work there lol he was born in 1912 lol ill give ya a call a little later i got to do some crap around town